Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 3 band pre amp for me?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 20, 2005.

1. I've been thinking about a new 3 band pre amp for my basses for a while(mostly the Euro LX). I'd like it to have a variable mid control so I can control exactly what frequencies the mid control is affecting. I've been told EMG BQC and an Aguilar OBP3. Any other suggestions?

2. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I've just purchased an Aguilar OBP-3 for my Yamaha TRB5. I should have it installed by the weekend. I'll let you know what it sounds like. it comes highly recommended.

3. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    What do you have in mind by "variable mid control"? Are you thinking of a switch to toggle between pre-set mid frequencies, or are you thinking of a knob to adjust the mid center frequency like you would on a parametric EQ?

There are several pre-amps with selectable pre-set mid frequencies (Bartolini, Aguilar, etc ...) but only the Retros by John East have a knob for you to adjust the mid center frequency like a parametric EQ.

BestBassGear.com (one of the TB forum sponsors - see the sticky at the top of this forum) has a great selection of all of these different pre-amps.

R

4. Erm, I don't know to be honest. I just want it so I can adjust it to affect low mids for fingerstyle, or high mids for pick playing growl.

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    John East does a model called the U-Retro for non Jazz basses, which I believe is the same circuitry, just mounts into a rear rout bass or whatever. Check out www.j-retro.co.uk

He's a good guy to deal with and he'll answer any questions you may have. There's even a forum on his site about his pre-amps which may be worth a look.

6. Ok thanks for the help. O, one other thing, is it true that active pickups are lower output than passive ones? I'm being told they are and aren't. I just need the clearing up please.

7. The U retro, will require some holes being drilled in my bass. :-S

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I always thought that Active pickups had higher output then passive ones. That's why amp often have a passive and active input. If you put a passive bass into the active input, it would not as loud as it does in the passive input, because the active input is build to cope with higher/active input.

9. Active pickups are quieter than passive pickups. That's why they need an on-board preamp. With the preamp, though, usually they get louder than passive electronics, but not always.

10. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Yeah what he said. I have one in my TRB6P. A decent preamp up grade is highly recommended on all trb instruments by me ;)
    Seriously, it has made my awesome bass totally out of this world as to what it can do and how it sounds.

11. That's a little misleading, since the "on-board preamp" is actually part of the pickup itself--that's what makes them "active pickups". A passive pickup run though an active EQ like the J-Retro/Aquilar/etc. is not the same as an "active pickup".

Mike

12. The EMG BQC also has a sweepable mid control, and the Aguilar OBP-3 can be wired that way.

Mike

13. Hmmm. I want dsomething that is gonna be more like my Rebop was.....just better. The Rebop used EMG HZ and an Aguilar OBP-1, The controls were overall volume, pickup pan, bass and treble. i want something like that kinda sound, just a bit brighter and more versatile. If that helps........