Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 300+W Tube pre-amp amp head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FUNKIESTMUNK, Apr 20, 2003.

1. FUNKIESTMUNK

FUNKIESTMUNK

Feb 25, 2001
    Ive been using a Trace Elliot GP7 SM300 for a few years now and am looking to replace it. Ive tried an SWR SM400 and was very impressed with the purity of the tone. Im looking for a used head with at least 300W and tube pre-amp, and was wondering what you guys and girls might suggest. I play a Warwick Corvette Std passive and, have Trace Elliot 4x10 and 1x15 cabs (both 300w rated at 8 ohms). Im looking to spend around 350GBP (550USD).

Any suggestions and opinions welcome.

2. Not the final authority on such things... but an ashdown ABM might be the thing you are looking for.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    +1

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Tried a Genz-Benz GBE500h and loved it. Can't buy that one, but I'm planning to buy its cousin.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    There have been a number of threads mentioning the Mesa Walkabout, which would fit your criteria. I recently picked one up and was amazed by its tone and its power output. It is rated at what I would say is a very conservative 300w into 4 ohms. That would be my pick (obviously!).

Eden now has several heads that might fit that bill, too, and you can probably find a lot of posts on the WT-400 and its brethren. FWIW, my Big Rig has an Eden Navigator, so I am a fan of BOTH Mesa and Eden (which may seem to be a bit of a heretic to some).

;)

Tom.

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    for that kind of money you could look for a carvin R600 or R1000. 600W and 1000W bridged into 4 ohms respectively. Also biampable and can be run stereo. I use an R600 and love it, has a myriad of tone shaping capabilities... too much for some people, but if you don't mind tinkering and experimenting with all the settings its a great amp. The series 2 models have blendable tube preamps, I love mine. I have a feeling A bigger head would do those cabs better justice, plus then you could biamp, and get your tube pre.

an R600 series 2 can be had for $350 USD used off ebay, the R1000 will probably cost about $100 more. good luck!

7. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Hartke 5000 or HA7000 have both ss and tube pre-amps and can be bi-amped to your 2 cabinets-- i love my HA5000