Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 350W head would you buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mara, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Ampeg B-2R

46 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Ashdown ABM300

24 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. Ashdown MAG400

12 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. EBS HD-350

54 vote(s)
    18.1%
  5. Eden WT-300

39 vote(s)
    13.1%
  6. G&K GT700RB

35 vote(s)
    11.7%
  7. Hartke 7000

23 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. MusicMan HD-500

4 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. Peavey Firebass

10 vote(s)
    3.4%
  10. Peavey BAM

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  11. other - what?

46 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    I'm 90% sure I'll go for the EBS HD-350, but out of curiosity I'd like to know what you guys would go for. Not all these amps are 350W@4ohms, but they are all within my price range (800-1200 Euros). Feel free to comment on these heads and justify your choice.Thanks.

2. Will *never* break, rugged build with the _deepest_ tone you could hope for. This is kinda cool given it's demure size. You also get Mesa's first-rate service. I toured the factory in the spring and saw these amps hand-built and thoroughly worked over during their "burn-in" period before being shipped.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The EBS has impressed me more than any of the others on your list. Never played the Mesa.

4. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    It's too erly fot this. I was suppose to include a response, not a thread so...

Glockenklang Soul 440W@4ohms

any good?

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    What kind of sound are you looking for?

need a low, woolly, tubey warm rocker? Eden WT400.

jazzy, funk, slap machine? EA iAMP350.

6. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Mara,

I upgraded my system last year comparing most of these amps (Ashdown ABM, Fafner, Eden, Glock, plus pre-amps: Kern, Demeter). Since I wanted to replace the amp & cabinet, I found for me the cabinet was a harder choice (compared EBS, Berg, Epifani, Glock, etc.). I got tired of my old Ampeg signature sound, my choice, so I’m not going there.

I picked the Soul with the Quattro for a couple reasons. First is that I love my Glock Quattro. After swearing I would not get another 4x10, the mix of sound, punch, and depth out of the Quattro is killer. Can not say enough about it, but that’s not what you asked for comments.

Next was the sound. I really liked both the Soul & the Fafner. I had told myself that I would get a pre-amp with a power amp. But after comparing the Kern & Demeter thru a Berg & Epifani (all combos) with the Soul side by side for hours, I found myself always going back to the Soul. It had a great tone close to the Demeter without tubes that I liked. It had noticeably less noise, which I didn’t think white noise would be a big factor when I started shopping, but it did.

I liked the tone of both the Soul & the Fafner. (Hard choice!:confused: )I found the Soul warmer and the Fafner clearer plus offered “drive” and compression. I decided to go with the warmth and get effects for drive & compression. (Actually looking at getting the EBS compression pedal soon.) I am very happy with the how the Soul with the Quattro falls into the mix. I found that my Lakland through the Fafner really “stood out” and the sound was impressive. But playing in a Jazz Rock trio (Satriani style) I wanted my tone deep and warm with presence (hard to put into words). Going with an Elrick through the Soul, I’m getting that. Either one would be an excellent choice. Never tried the Elrick / Fafner / Quattro together, hope this helps!

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ashdown ABM all the way...
    Warmth, punch and versatility without the fuss.
    And the efficiency of their customer service is the best I've ever seen.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If clarity is important to you, you may want to look at the SWR Bass 350, also.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    That sounds like a sweeeet rig, Sammy.

if i remember correctly, you went to Bass Palace try all this stuff and was stunned by the Glocks.

as for the white noise on the Demeter, what did you have the EQ set at? i dont get any white noise at all with mine, and i usually use a liberal dose of highs for my slap/funk stuff.

btw, what kind of Elrick you using?

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

ditto!

11. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    ...and everyone else for your input. There's so too many bassthings on this planet to choose from. There are a few things I need to consider:

1. I need a setup for small to medium sized clubs.
    2. I play rock/metal, mainly fingerstyle
    3. my bass in Esh Various V :cool:
    4. I'd like to get that modern punchy but warm sound (á la John Myung perhaps?)
    5. No hi-tech needed, just a sweet sounding, reasonably priced rig (labels - couldn't care less)

I have to say that Ashdown has some pretty interesting amps and cabs and they don't cost a fortune either. Time for a new post.

:confused:

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If I was in Finland I'd get the EBS.

13. i voted the Ampeg B-2R, cos its what i'v got :D
    And also in my quest i tested a lot of the others in your list, and prefered the Ampeg (obviously)

*Si*

14. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Mara,

Do you have cabinet(s) already or are you shopping for the Full Monty?

Jokerjkny,

Good memory! The Demeter was set flat for the most part, were I start the EQ on most gear. When I say the Demeter had white noise, I’m being super critical. The Glock is just that quite. I’ve seen similar comments, which I regarded the as a NY skeptic, but I was surprised. As for my gear, I have a simple set-up;

Elrick Deluxe 5 Bolt-on with a wenge neck & fret board, ash body, natural quilt maple top with Bart Jazzes.

Zon Legacy Standard 5 fretless with natural flame top/body with Bart Soapbars

Glock Soul with Quattro. The Glock has an EQ bypass, so I’ve scooped the EQ (mainly a 400 Hz notch) and only switch in the EQ if I want that sound.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, no digital camera.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Never seen an EBS in person, but from what I've heard about them, I would love to try one out.

16. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Euphonic Audio iAmp 350.
    Great EQ, headphone out, effects loop.
    Clean gutsy power.

17. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Me too

18. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I'm another B-2R owner.

19. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    I bought my B2 about a year ago and love it. I play through an 810 classic, I do wish I had more headroom though. Gotta love the 5 year warranty.