1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which 4 String (or 5) is widest at the nut?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kristlik, Nov 30, 2006.

1. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Still looking to trade up, and am trying to find a bass with the most room, for my big ol meat hooks, on the fingerboard.

2. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Modulus Q5 Wide.

22.5mm string spacing.:eek:

I like wide string spacing on fivers, but the Q5 is a little too wide. The Roscoe Beck Vs, MTD Kingstons and the Modulus Genesis Vs are all wide string spacing at the nut & bridge.

3. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Looks like I need to put some limits on this question. I would LOVE these basses, but my price range is more around $1,100 or so.

4. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Take the Modulus Q5 out of the basses I mentioned, and you are definately in the price range you mentioned if you buy used.

There's a RBV on sale at TB for $900.00.

5. How about a vintage style P bass? Fender AV RI 62 P, Fender CIJ RI P, and Lakland Bob Glaub? These have 1.75" nut on there 4 strings basses. All are in your price range.

6. +1

great basses.

7. I've seen some Curbows with really wide necks. I think Doug Pinnick has a Yamaha with an extremely wide neck, but it might be a custom job.

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Fender Deluxe basses have some of the widest spacing, as do Sadowsky, Valenti and other Fender clones.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

On the five string front, the Fender Jazz V has a big ol' aircraft carrier of a neck that is 1.875" at the nut. New MIM's are in your price range and used MIA's seem to go for remarkably little money.

Maybe there are bigger ones, but the widest five string neck that I have personally come across is on the Fender Dimension V. It's 2.008" at the nut.

Even Homer Simpson, when he was over 300lbs and wearing a mumu, could play that one. A new one would be in your budget.

10. Jeph

Jeph

Nov 10, 2006
    Stingray4? Probably could find one in your price range used. Anyone say Warwick broadneck yet (definitely going to be harder to find used for your price, but maybe)?

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Stingray spacing is pretty narrow, especially on their 5-strings.

12. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm starting to lean towards the Fender P Bass 4 or the P Deluxe 4; but also the Warwick Corvette STD 4 sting.

I've looked at the Fender Vintage P Bass 4, but I'm concerned about the pup guard getting in the way (seems akward for me to play); and I worried about the bass looking like it is torn apart if I take the pup guard off.

13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

It just leaves one little screw hole on either side of the pickups. Lots of guys do it. If you didn't like that you could always buy another pickguard without the holes to make it look more finished.

14. exin

exin

Dec 2, 2006
    Singapore
    i think Yamaha has quite wide neck spacings ... seriously .. feels alot like P-basses necks to me ..

15. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    go to www.theperfectbass.com
    and check out the Traben arrays....absolutely gorgeous! (with 35 in scale necks and nice wide string spacing)