1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which 4-string soapbar size - Bart BC or EMG35?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rodent, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Bart BC

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. EMG35

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Other (please specify with a post if selecting this option)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't understand what this means - you sayin' that the pickup sizes are different?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Title says it all - what's your 4-string soapbar pickup SIZE preference (NOT brand or pickup model!)

The question could be rephrased - if you were having a custom 4-string bass built, and your pickup of choice came in both sizes, which SIZE pickup would you choose to use?

Working a bit of market research, and your honest feedback is greatly appreciated!

2. To me, it does not matter, but I would give a slight preference to the EMG35 casing, simply because the two hole mount seems more symmetrical and visually balanced than the three hole mount on the Bartolini BC casing.

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    EMG. I've never understood why the Bartolini dimensions are so much longer.

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    I think the Bart size looks better,
    But it leaves way less options for the internals,
    Plus there's far less options in that size/shape.

5. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Bart. I generally prefer the softer look and corner radii they have over the utilitarian "brick" of EMG. Though I admit, it really depends on the bass. I prefer the EMG shape on classic, Fenderesque designs, and the Bart on more modern body shapes. The exception being Spector- they look good with either.

6. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    I'd say they're about even, with the slight nod going to the Bart size.

7. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    EMG35 if getting the split-able dual coils (the TW or TWX series), since it has 3 coils inside, thus it could be operated as normal dual coil or stacked singles for even more tone variations.

8. He's talking about the shape of the casing. The coil configuration is not relevant here. You can put whatever you want inside the casing, as long as it fits.

9. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Exactly.

That's why I stated the EMG35 has more potential for flexibility/configs inside.

It not possible to get short, fat coils (P config or wider dual-coils) inside a narrow casing.

10. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    thanks for all the votes and commentary feedback so far - I really do appreciate it!