Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 410 do you like better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabass89, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Carvin 410

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. Peavy 410

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  3. Fender Bassman 410

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. Sunn 410

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Out of these four, which would you choose? Just wondering, thanks.

2. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I like the Bassman 4*10 best. It has a hellatious punch to it like no other I've played on. IMO the Carvin 'RedEye' 4*10 is good for the price but doesn't compare to the bottom end of the Bassman. I haven't tried the Sunn 4*10, but I've played a Sunn 8x10, which was awesome, but very highly priced (used at GC). So, Fender Bassman got my vote :).

-FSR

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Depends on what's pushing `em.

If you've got a head that puts out max power at 8 ohms, I'd take the Carvin.

4. The Bassman, but personally I like my Hartkes...and NO they AREN'T "tinny" quite f'ing punchy to say the least.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I love my Peavey 410TXF.

6. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    the 410 TVX is even better :)

7. Well, let's say you're pushin it with a hartke 3500 or 4000, and which would you say has the most bottom end while stile retaining the punch and definition that 410's are known for?

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    No it's not. Tolex rips and is much cheaper, other then that, there's no difference. I'd much rather have carpet then Tolex. That was the silliest statement I've read. The only reason Peavey changed to Tolex is because it's cheaper then the carpet.

9. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    the tvx is ported on the bottom, the tx is ported in the rear.

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Cat, not to flame you. But do you realize that there's a cab called the TXF? That's ported in the front? It's identical to the 410TVX except uses carpet rather then tolex.

That's what I'm speaking about. Read up on your Peavey equip. ;)

The 410TXF's a better cab then the 410TVX, the TVX has tolex, as I stated before, which will rip, where carpet won't.

Just a side note. A rear ported cab can be a much better cab then a front ported, providing you have it close to a wall. A rear port against a wall will give you a surround sound effect. The downside is that you have to have it next to a wall, for it to sound good.
    :) :)

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ci..cii..civi..civil? Ru..rude? Naaaahh. ;) :D

12. I think someone here needs a course in communicating with his fellow humans...

13. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    I'm confused :(

14. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Ports are omnidirectional, so it makes little, if any difference as to where they are placed.

15. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    i just got a new peavey tvx with a firebird 700 head....... oh my god....

talk about headroom, i managed about 3 on the volume and that was LOUD and CLEAN.

best bang for the bucks? YOU BETCHA

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Which TVX? I run, my Firebass II 700 (I figured i'd spell it right, hehe) with a 410TXF and 115BXBW. It's sweet.

Gimme your opinions on it... I wanna get other firebass opinions.

17. Yep. It makes NO difference where they are placed, as long as they are not blocked.

Check out

http://www.acmebass.com/products/ports.html

I think this guy is about the most honest of all the bass cab makers I've seen so far. His cabinets are rated the most honestly (IMO).

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Omnidirectional doesn't mean that it won't make a difference where it's placed. There's no way you're going to tell me that if you're standing behind me, and I whisper something you're gonna hear it just as well as if I whisper it infront of you. Which is exactly what would be happening pretty much, just on a louder scale with the ports. Something will go in all directions it can . Although, as I stated before, having a rear port will be better then having a front port if it's backed against the wall, then it'll create a surround sound effect.

I'm not really arguing because I have lots of tech skills. I'm just trying to use basic logic, and what you're telling me isn't working out, logically.

19. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    whispering is nothing like a port...find me a person who can identify where a 20hz (for example) sound is coming from, and I swear to god, I will eat my own arm. bass is pretty much omnidirectional below 500hz, almost entire below 150, and below 120 damn near nooone can tell.

logic is great and all, but only if you have the complete set of factors.