Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davidwl, May 5, 2003.

1. davidwl

Feb 19, 2003
    I `m in the market for a new 4x10 cabneit.
    I play a 77` jazz bass and a 73`p bass.
    I`ve been looking at, eden, aguilar & SWR.
    What would be my best option, taking into account the bass i use? THANKS!
  2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
  3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    get hartke. they rock. but make sure to get the XL series, if you want it to last more than a year, and play gigs with it. i hear the transporter is crappy and is only good for a practice amp.
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hey man

next time, try not to type everything in capitals. ive gone and fixed it all up, but (if you cant already tell) most of the members here dont really like it.

5. Eden, SWR, Aguilar, They are all 3 great cabinets and I think you'll would be happy with any of them. My favorite for a 4x10 is a Hartke 4.5XL but that's just me.
  6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Bag End:

although somewhat rare in retail outlets, the Bag End Q10, which I now have and love, is a great, really smooth sounding 4x10. If you don't need a tweeter, then you can save some money and get the non-coax model. I don't miss the tweeter in mine at all.
  7. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Another vote for Bag End.

Q10BD or Q10BXD

Listen to as many as you can and get the one you like.
  8. I would suggest the Eden D-410XST, which is their new deeper, less boomy cabinet.
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    An older model Mesa Boogie 4x10, either Diesel or RR, is the ticket if you want a very articulate tone that covers the entire frequency spectrum very evenly. It will make an SWR or an Eden XLT sound muddy and indisticnt, though it doesn't have the low-mid hump (which some consider a value added feature) that the SWR or XLT's have. The newer Eden XST's should sound more like a Boogie on the mid to highs (the T-210XST that I tried reminded me of my Boogie 4x10), but at least in theory, the XST's also have extended lows.

But in my opinion, the older (non-Powerhouse) Mesa Boogie's are the pinnacle of the 4x10 heap. Of course, many will disagree with me...;)

10. I've got a BagEnd Q10BX-D and it sounds great!!

The coax sounds alot better than a tweeter in my opinon. The high end sounds beautiful, and the low end is nice and clean. Most BagEnd cabinets have good, high power handlings, and can take a beating.

Now i just need an 18, and an ELF processor to go along with that and i'll be able to go down to 18Hz. That will be pretty.

Only problem I've had with BagEnd is that their cabinet's speakon inputs are diffeent, and you'll have to rewire your speakon cable. Also, the BagEnd deep red series Q10BX-D is a bit expensive ($1550 Canadian), and a bit heavier (107 lbs) than most 4x10 cabinets.

However, the sound quality i've gotten out of it has been superior, and well outweighs anything "bad" with the cabinet.

Highly recommended!

11. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I'd choose the Aguilar - oh wait, i did!

I like it over the Bag End (and others) because it's NOT as smooth, NOT as nice and clean. Just thick, rich, clear, and a decent price.
  12. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The best cab I have heard recently is the new Ampeg BXT 4x10 Victor Whooten Steve Bailey cab. If your into funk,check it out
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    get the lightest... haulin' around a 4x10 @ 1am is NOT my idea of fun.

if you've got the dough, get an Epifani ultralite, but the Aguilar is awesome, too.
  14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Very good point, jokerjkny. My Mesa Boogie 4x10 weighs in at around 120 lbs! Since I have to haul it up and down a flight of steps by myself every time I play out with it, I am considering putting it up for sale - if I can bear to part with it. :bawl:

The Epifani T-410UL would be an awesome cab. 1,000w, 62 lbs. 'Nuff said. :cool:

Later, Tom.
  15. Ashdown MAG 410. Very warm and smooth.
  16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    'Nuther vote for the Aguilar, though you can't go wrong with the Eden XST series or the Mesa's, Epiphani, Bergantino, EA.

SWR sounds to harsh for my ears. YMMV.
    Great budget cab is the Avatar.

Can't believe people are recommending Hartke's, perhaps they haven't owned any other top line cab to compare it with. I played Hartke's for years, and had nothing but problems with the cones. Perhaps others aren't pumping very much juice into them. Dunno, but I sure wouldn't rank them with Aguilar, Eden, Mesa, Bag End, etc.
  17. Yes, the hartke XL 4x10 cabinet has some great response. Great Low B response, real tight sound and don't let that so called 'tin ****' that people refer to these cabs make you think its gonna be hi-fi, definetly enough low end... yeah, I like ahrtker:D