Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 4x10/Head for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MMSterling, Feb 26, 2004.

1. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Basically I am looking to upgrade from my small combo to a half stack for now. I want you lot to give me some advice as to which heads/cabs I should look into, try. What am I looking for?

1.) A Head and 4x10 cabinet.
    2.) 500w (aprox) power/power handling.
    3.) A setup which will allow me add either a 1x15 or 2x12 later.
    4.) Something with a great sound, good versatility to compliment my Sterling.

I am looking at Ashdown, GK, EBS, Aguila at the minute. So let me know which head/4x10 you guys suggest I look into which fits the above criteria, cheers!

Andy :)

2. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Yorkville XS400H and XC410 ?

Fits the bill with enough bells and whistles to have your own Greek wedding.

3. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    you chould check out GK's "backline" amps there not as powerful as you may want, but the price and quality are there. If you have the money check out the 1001 rb and the 4x10 from their normal line. you can add a 15 and bi-amp it!

4. Peavey heads and Avatar Cabs are good priced and quality from what I've heard. Go used or Ebay.

5. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I've played through a Peavey head (nitro bass) at my bands practice studios. I wasn't that impressed with it, but their cabs are pretty good stuff! Not the best, but you could do worse!

Andy ;)

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Definately!!!

Also, even though it's 100 watts short, the XC410 is a VERY efficient cab, along with Yorkville's conservative amp ratings, I'm sure it will be loud enough. :bassist:

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Eden. Spendy, but worth it.

Get yourself a WT1000, and 410XLT. I doubt you'll need another cab. If you do, get another 410XLT.

-Mike

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The quality is definately NOT there with the backline series amps. I've tried them all. The cleans are lacking and not worthy of the GK name. The overdrive is fun to noodle around with, but unusable for the most part, unless you like the sound of sand in a blender. Plus, they also get VERY hot, even at low volumes. One I tried wouldn't stay on for longer than 2 minutes, because the safety switch kept turning it off.

9. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia

10. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Thanks everyone! If anyone has anything more to add keep it coming!

Andy :hyper:

11. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Guys, remember he is in the UK

12. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
  13. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    A great observation.

I keep hearing people rave about the Glockenklangs, but no way in hell is it going to be so good to justify the expense of getting one shipped here. If I ever see one in a store though, I'll leap at the chance to actually plug in to one.

14. IMHO Ashdown gear gives most bang for the euro here on the old continent. ABM series is reasonably priced and MAGs are downright cheap. I had my mind set on Ashdown rig, but then I got a great deal on an EBS pre and jumped in the Swedish bandwagon...

15. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    This is my recommendation. You could also drop to the WT800 to save a few bucks. Be sure to evalutate whether you really need an extra cab if you have a WT800-->D-410XLT. That's a lot of noise.

16. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    The Eden XST series is also amazing and should be looked into, The lows go a bit lower then the XLT series if you need them that is.