1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K-Funk, Feb 29, 2008.

1. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    In an effort to make my rig a little more portable and useable, I'm getting rid of my old Ampeg 810E and am searching for a good 4x10 with which to replace it. In trade, I've been offered:

-Ampeg 410HLF
    -Ampeg PR-410HLF
    -Some older Sunn 410, ported at the bottom.

I'll be running it with my Mesa 400+. I really dig the Ampeg cab tones, so which one of those two is better, and why? also, anything I should know about the Sunn? thanks!!

2. if you are trading, i hope you are receiving cash as part of the deal. with that said, the svt410hlf (probably your best bet) will produce some deep lows, but can muddy it up quick. if you are looking for the same sound as the 810e, go for the 410e.

3. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Well, I'm mostly playing my 5-string and my BEAD tuned Stingray anymore, so the extra low-end response would be nice. Plus, I need a 4 ohm cab. I'm not sure whether or not the Sunn is 4 or 8 ohm, but if he says it's 8, I'll probably have to pass on it.

I also frequently use my 800RB for smaller gigs and recording, and that guy was never really happy running at 8 ohms. I used to use it with a Warwick 411 Pro cab, the tone was decent but it was really wimpy volume-wise.

So essentially, my decision is between the Ampeg 410HLF and the PR-410HLF. I know it's essentially the same cab, but if one has certain issues or notable characteristics (besides the higher power of the PR), I'd really appreciate the info! I've used the regular 410HLF and liked it a lot, but if the PR is something that can't be passed up, I'd probably lean that way.

Ah yes, and no cash will be involved. My 810E is totally functional, but is so beat up and whacked on, it's probably not worth too much to sell. I mean, I bought it for $400. I'd feel guilty charging cash as well. Plus, the two Ampeg's I've been offered are both American and in pristine shape.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The Ampeg PR-410HLF can't be beat....until yolu try to move the beast. :D
    PR4X10HLF
    LF Drivers: 4 x 10” Cast Speakers
    Voice Coil: 2.5”
    Magnet Weight: 56 oz
    HF Driver: Horn/Driver
    Voice Coil: 1”
    Magnet Weight: 8 oz
    RMS Power Handling: 600-Watts
    Frequency Response (-3dB): 33Hz - 18kHz
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 29Hz
    Crossover Frequency: 4kHz
    Nominal Impedance: 4-Ohms
    Sensitivity: 96dB
    Maximum SPL: 124dB
    Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 26.25 x 30.75 x 18.75
    Weight: 128 Pounds

SVT4X10HLF
    LF Drivers: 4 x 10”
    Voice Coil: 2”
    Magnet Weight (each): 30 oz
    HF Drivers: Horn/Driver
    Voice Coil: 1”
    Magnet Weight (each): 8 oz
    RMS Power Handling: 500-Watts
    Frequency Response (-3dB): 48Hz-18kHz
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 28Hz
    Nominal Impedance: 4-Ohms
    Sensitivity: 98dB
    Maximum SPL: 125dB
    Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 24 x 30 x 19
    Weight: 110 Pounds

The PR has a good bit better low end extension (at the -3 dB level) and better power handling, the SVT is a tiny bit more effecient.

5. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    sheer weight isn't really an issue with moving stuff, it's girth. I'm a pretty strong guy, back when we had these two huge 2x15 PA speakers, at 150 pounds apeach, I could carry them by myself. However, they had side handles. I'm sure that transporting the PR won't be too big of a deal. The 8x10 is just too big and ugly! I'm sure if I scored a nicer one I'd be more tempted to keep it, but this thing is just too worn out. Like I said, I got it for a few hundred bucks.

IDK, I'm basically just looking for a cab that'll do everything fairly well. Recording, big gigs, small gigs, the works. And cosmetically, I need it to be in good shape (one of my main gigs is a dinner-theater that's a bit upscale, I normally play through the PA, but I need my own amp this time) I was going to use the 810E, but that thing is just absolutely slain The main reason I got it was for a band that never really happened.