1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which 4x12? Bergie or Traynor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Oct 19, 2010.

1. My band is excessively loud. I run a stereo rig containing the following.

G&L L2000 tuned to D-standard
    Traynor YCS100 into Traynor 215S 2x15
    Traynor DB800 into Eden D410XLT 4x10

I'm looking to sell the Eden and replace it with a 4x12, and eventually replace the 2x15 with the same 4x12. I have my choice narrowed down to two at the exact same price and am not sure which one to buy. Which one should I buy and why?

Bergantino NV412

[​IMG]

Configuration: 4x12", sealed cabinet design
    Woofer: 4-12" woofers with vented pole pieces
    Tweeter: none
    Frequency Response: 45Hz to 4.5kHz
    Power Handling: 800 watts (continuous unclipped power)
    Impedance: 4 ohm
    Connection: two 1/4" jacks, two Neutrik Speakon
    Dimensions: 36"H x 24"W x 15"D
    Weight: 108 lbs.
    Handle: two side mounted handles, one recessed cup handle top/center, tilt back castors
    Covering: black Tolex

Traynor TC412

[​IMG]

Cabinet Program Power (Watts) 900 / 450 (x2)
    Cabinet Impedance (Ohms) 4
    Speaker Configuration - LF (Size / Power) 4x12''
    Frequency Response (Hz +/-3dB) 40 - 18k
    Inputs 2 Speakon / 2 1/4-inch
    Other Features Metal Corners
    Tiltback Wheels
    Metal side, top and bottom bar handles
    16 guage punched metal grille
    Dimensions (DWH, inches) 18.5 x 24.25 x 43.25
    Weight (lbs / kg) 112 / 50.8

From what I can see, the traynor has less power handling (program is less than continuous right?) but has much better handles for transportation. But I'm pushing the DB800 to it's max, so if it can't handle 800w easily it's no good to me. What do you think?

2. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    I had a 410 xlt but I had no experience with the 215 you have

between the two 412
    the traynor has a bigger box and is also ported, it will likely give you a deeper bass
    it also goes higher with the tweeter
    the berg is a sealed cab, which gives you a higher (also smoother) bass roll off

these are two very different inherent tone
    do you use the tweeter on your eden?

by definition continuous power is more demanding than program power
    but in reality, most bass cab is limited by displacement in the bass region
    thus, the number by itself really does not tell you much

I think they can both handle the DB800
    how's your EQ like?

3. My EQ is pretty flat on both amps, but I bump my mids up on both a little bit. I run my tweeter on my eden but not wide open. I'm not really concerned about losing it. You're right about the bigger box probably being better for low end. I'm leaning towards the Traynor, as I often do.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    If you want extreme crushing volume while still having FTW tone, get a Mesa 412.
    If you want a not as crushing volume cab that is still extremely loud with a "sweeter" tone, get the Berg.

5. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Keep in mind that the Berg will cost a lot more (400ish) especially if you want to buy two of them.
    Not much wheeling and dealing on price of Bergs in Canada anyway that I found.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If I had to choose: BERG.

7. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    +1 on the Mesa 4x12, that's got to be a killer cab. You might also want to check out the GK412 or a Marshall VB412.

Personally, I would go with the Berg. My NV610 is loud AND clear. I love it!

8. They are both $1400.

I've checked out the other brands, these are the two that I've narrowed it down to, although the Mesa is nice.

9. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    I wouldn't let the handles affect your decision - the Berg has a tilt-back in the middle (can't see in that pic) and its really easy to tip and lift into a vehicle. I say get the BERG! It is powerful loud! :hyper:

10. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Berg!

11. Yeah I just like how the traynor has handles on the bottom too. Lots of Berg love though and I'm still split right down the middle. I wish there were a way to test them both, but I don't have reasonable access to either. I will say that just the thought of "having two bergantino 4x12's" sounds more amazing than "having two traynor 4x12's".

Just for fun, here's my rig.

bassbuild036.jpg

12. You can buy handles and have them installed. I'm considering buying some for my GK MB115, just because it's awkward to carry with only the top strap-thing.

13. Also, does anyone have any pictures of heavily gigged bergs? I know a lot of guys on here have them but also they normally look very well kept. I mean there's never a bad review, I've never heard a complaint about them. Is anyone on board for the traynor?

14. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've been following this thread with interest. I recently filled in with a band that was so loud that my trusty 9-year-old Bergantino HT310 was not quite loud enough at rehearsal. Lucky for me, at the gig, the volume was much more manageable, and my stage volume was probably a little hot.
    At the risk of sounding like a geezer, is your band really that loud that the above rig is not cutting it?
    My Berg is heavily gigged, but its design is different than the NV412.

15. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I thought street pricing on the Traynor was supposed to be around the $1000 mark? Clubbass lists the NV610 for $1300. I haven't tried either one, yet. If you are playing loud and often, you may have better warranty service buying the Traynor. I haven't hear many bad things about Bergantino products, though, so it essentially comes down to which cab will do what you want at a price ya can live with. If you do go with the Traynor, I'd love some pics and a report.

16. The Traynor clocked in at $1175 from L&M earlier today. Plus tax that is $1350.

17. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I think an Aguilar DB412 should probably be added to your list...

18. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    is there no chance that you can try them both first?

19. I Forget

I Forget

Apr 16, 2010
    I know you said you've already narrowed down your choices but given you don't have the opportunity to try any of them before you buy, is there any chance you can source one of these?

1200w power handling and 57lbs (!) is a nice start.

20. That's list price. You can knock $100.00 - $150.00 off that from any L&M store.

As for the power rating, initially the TC412 was going to have a switch that would allow it to be run either stereo (spliting 2x12's into pairs @ 450 watts each) or mono.

Yorkville decided not to install the mode switch, so it CAN NOT be run stereo, only mono. The power rating for mono is 900 watts.

I checked the TC412 out a couple of weeks ago. It's impressive to say the least. If you've got the man power to move it and a big enough vehicle to transport it, go for it.

TD