Which 5-er is the best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebassmuchacho, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Im in the market for a 5 string bass. Im trying to decide which i should go for, the lakland 55-94 or a musicman 5 string bass. Ive heard rave reviews about all of laklands stuff, but ive had a musicman 4 stringer for a while and am happy with it. Also, any suggestions for a 5 stringer? Im looking for a 24 fret bass, these only have 22 which will do, but 24 would make me the happiest.
  2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    They are both good basses. Music Man(you didn't mention what model) has more punch, Lakland has more bite. IMO!
  3. A 24 fret 5 stinger made by Ernie Ball?

That's easy, get a Bongo! :bassist:

A 24 fret 5 stringer that has a different sound, but of the same build quality?

That's also easy - get a Peavey Cirrus! :hyper:

IMHO, the two best sounding and playing not-too-expensive basses on the market today are the Bongo & the Cirrus.

You can't go wrong with either one.

Mike ;)
  4. I'll add to your list by recommending you try the G&L L2500. Very awesome bass. I also prefer the 34" scale to the peavey's 35".
  5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Lakland 55-02
    Warwick FNA Jazzman
    Pedulla Rapture

Those are the 3 I'm currently flipping between what I want, and as of right now the Warwick is winning :bassist:

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1 on the Bongo HH w/piezo, or the Lakland 55-94/55-02.

Either one will be a great bass, with a huge range of tonal possibilities. :D
  7. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I love my Lakland 55-02 more and more each time I gig and record with it. It is a great instrument.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice choics. 55-94, amazing bass. THat or the bongo, mm
  9. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    If you want versatility, then the 55-94 is the way to go. I am selling mine because I realized that I didn't need to invest that money in something that versatile. If you want something suited more for pop/rock, perhaps you should look into the SR5. I am getting a Warwick Thumb 5, because that suits my style of music.
  10. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Spector... pretty much any :bassist:

Ray :D
  11. Lateralus_

Feb 26, 2005
    I'm also lookin for a 5-string , preferbly new. I wan't 1.) active pickups, p- styl or soapbar 2.)Hip-shot style bridge 3.)And Under 1 thousand $. Tone I play varies from effect heavy to none at all or maybe just a pinch. Slap, pluck, or pick - whaterver sounds good. Any suggestions?