1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which 5-er is the best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebassmuchacho, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Im in the market for a 5 string bass. Im trying to decide which i should go for, the lakland 55-94 or a musicman 5 string bass. Ive heard rave reviews about all of laklands stuff, but ive had a musicman 4 stringer for a while and am happy with it. Also, any suggestions for a 5 stringer? Im looking for a 24 fret bass, these only have 22 which will do, but 24 would make me the happiest.

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    FLIP A COIN!!
    They are both good basses. Music Man(you didn't mention what model) has more punch, Lakland has more bite. IMO!

3. A 24 fret 5 stinger made by Ernie Ball?

That's easy, get a Bongo! :bassist:

A 24 fret 5 stringer that has a different sound, but of the same build quality?

That's also easy - get a Peavey Cirrus! :hyper:

IMHO, the two best sounding and playing not-too-expensive basses on the market today are the Bongo & the Cirrus.

You can't go wrong with either one.

Mike ;)

4. I'll add to your list by recommending you try the G&L L2500. Very awesome bass. I also prefer the 34" scale to the peavey's 35".

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Lakland 55-02
    Warwick FNA Jazzman
    Pedulla Rapture

Those are the 3 I'm currently flipping between what I want, and as of right now the Warwick is winning :bassist:

:)

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1 on the Bongo HH w/piezo, or the Lakland 55-94/55-02.

Either one will be a great bass, with a huge range of tonal possibilities. :D

7. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I love my Lakland 55-02 more and more each time I gig and record with it. It is a great instrument.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice choics. 55-94, amazing bass. THat or the bongo, mm

9. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    If you want versatility, then the 55-94 is the way to go. I am selling mine because I realized that I didn't need to invest that money in something that versatile. If you want something suited more for pop/rock, perhaps you should look into the SR5. I am getting a Warwick Thumb 5, because that suits my style of music.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Spector... pretty much any :bassist:

Ray :D

11. Lateralus_

Lateralus_

Feb 26, 2005
    I'm also lookin for a 5-string , preferbly new. I wan't 1.) active pickups, p- styl or soapbar 2.)Hip-shot style bridge 3.)And Under 1 thousand $. Tone I play varies from effect heavy to none at all or maybe just a pinch. Slap, pluck, or pick - whaterver sounds good. Any suggestions?