1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WHICH 5 STRING BASS GUITAR SHOULD I GET???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 24fretplayer, Apr 23, 2010.

1. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The black or the red one. Cause thats bestest. LMAO.
    Really though, those are all very good choices. It be down to body woods for me and which was available in black or red. Lol.

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    What makes you think we're going to click on every single link here, just for the "privilege" of doing you the favor of sharing our knowledge and experience with you? :eyebrow:

The very least you could do is to spell out the options - by actually doing some typing yourself - then explain specifically what it is you want to know. Or is that too much work for you?

Get freakin' real... :rollno:

MM

4. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Some people get no joy out of the process of discovery :p

So anyways....I've had Schecter's and Ibanez's. Both are pretty much on par with each other in the respective price ranges. On the lower end of the price ranges that you've listed, I like the Ibbys more. I've tried the Schecter extremes and customs. They just didnt feel very substantial and was underwhelmed with the overall tone. I do love my Studio 5 though. Solid like a tank and tone for days.

Out of the list though, I'd go with the SRA. Comfortable and built for good old fashioned loud rock and roll and then some.

Go play em though. Then you'll know whats up and works for you.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Get one with a 3 band preamp and not a 2 band preamp.

6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I'd go with the ESP... I was thinking along the lines of Ric...

7. So as to stay *on the bandwagon*, I did not click on any of the links. I will say I've played dozens of 5s & have never had a better 5(for ME)than my 96 MIA Fender Jazz 5- it does have only 20 frets, though.

8. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    The 5 string I have and love and wouldn't trade for anything in the world is my Ibanez SR305. I see an Ibanez SRA305 up there, don't know what the A means but it looks similar.

9. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    i say the sra305! the all black is sexy!

10. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    For me? Music Man. Either a Ray or a Bongo. The Bongo 5HH is the bass I've been waiting for all my life. Does it all, and does it well.

11. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I really do hate these threads.....

that being said you gotta go with what you would like.

Have you tried any of these basses?

If not go do that. We can't determine what you would like without even knowing who you are. If you can't physically put your hands on the bass then research them. Read every review you can get your hands on. Youtube them and listen to other people playing to see if you like the tone. If you can't find anyone playing them on youtube then make google your best friend. Weigh the options on what you want as opposed to what is recomended. Trust me on that. I wanted to start with a 5er but went with a 4 string because that's what was recomended to me by the "more advanced players". Now I'm stuck with the 4 string ( I still love it but I'm still gassing for a 5er).

Also don't just rely on GC to find a bass. Check all the music stores you'd be surprized at what might be hiding at your local ma and pa store as well as what can be uncovered at a pawnshop/craigslist

12. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    So true, with the pawn shop/CL statement.

However, sometimes it's hard to find a place where you can find all the models that you like and really A/B them, that's where places like GC come in.

I think considering the options listed by the OP, MusicMan might be out of his price range, so I'd like to suggest possibly a SBMM Ray35 or a G&L Tribute L-2500? Although from your choices, I think you're interested in something lighter with a thinner neck, so my choices are probably too bulky.

13. FOR A START YOU COULD GET RID OF THE CAPS AND YOU KNOW MAYBE JUST INCLUDE A SMALL DESCRIPTION OF WHAT IM ABOUT TO CLICK

14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    IREALLYTHINKTHESRX355ISAOKBASSIVEPLAYEDAFEWANDTHEYAREREALLYOKNOTGREATMINDYOUBUTOKIDONTLIKETHENEWSRNECKSHAPEASWELLASTHEOLDERONESSOIMYSELFWOULDNOTBUYONEBUTIAMNOTYOU.

Annoying wasn't it?;)

15. Annoying but i stuck through ;)

16. I recommend trying the used market first, before you commit.

17. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    Out of your choices, the Ibanez SRX355 stands out for hard rock and metal. All of these should play and sound good, and are value leaders in the $450 bracket. What sets the SRX355 apart from the others is 1: tonewoods--ash body and maple neck provide a fast attack and lots of punch, and 2: Ibanez's exposed polepiece pickups are really clean, punchy, dynamic, and have a very strong bottom end. I prefer them over the Asian-sourced soapbars for your intended purpose. Actually, the Ibanez mini's and exposed polepiece pickups are my favorite Asian-sourced pickups.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, move up to a G&L Tribute L-2500 with its US-made pickups. Otherwise, get the Ibanez SRX355.

18. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Either one of the Ibanzes will do!

19. cap'n crunk

cap'n crunk

Apr 6, 2010
    California
    Rock a three-string washtub. Nobody has ever done that in metal, so you could be a trendsetter.

+1 to lindseyp's sug re: buying used. You should do that.