1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which 5 string basses have the best low B

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Krinkle, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Mr. Krinkle

Mr. Krinkle

Aug 3, 2004
    I'm trying to find a new 5 string and I'm looking for one with a really strong low B since I play a lot of rock music. I also play funk because I'm a slapper. Any suggestions would be great!

2. Price range? Willingness to go used?

You can't really go wrong with the Stingray 5, and it's fairly easy to find one used under $1000.

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. You might try a Bongo, too. Thunderous B, and lots of tonal variation via the 4-band EQ.

4. ...and sure enough, here's a 5-string 'Ray for under a grand:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238980

Mind you, the Stingray 5 isn't for everyone. I find the neck to be a bit too thin when compared to the classic four-string Ray; it's really a Sterling 5. However, the sound is useful in just about any context--if you use proper palm muting or are willing to bring in some sort of external mute, you can even get a good dub reggae sound out of it, which is no small feat!

5. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Pedulla Rapture.

6. pulseczar

pulseczar

May 7, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    My Schecter Studio 5 produces a pretty badass B too. It requires a delicate touch to get out the full potential, but it's badass. It's more of an enveloping feel rather than a direct sound so I think it's not your type.

7. I wouldn't really characterize that as a good B, generally. A great B string should be able to produce a usable, clear sound with a wide range of attack intensities, and should have the same kind of note definition as the rest of the strings. But hey, if it works for you, it works for you!

8. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    lol @ "I'm a slapper"..

in Australia a "slapper" is a derogatory term for an idiot..

oh yeah... Lakland 55-02 very nice B

9. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Roscoe basses - clear, punchy and tight. Not cheap but an they don't get much better IMO.

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Dingwall.

11. Another vote for the ray 5.

12. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Modulus Genesis 5

13. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have a Lakland 55-01 and the B is great. Very clear and tight.

14. Go out and play a bunch of 'em, and decide for yourself.

One thing to keep in mind, if you're a mad slapper....almost all off-the-shelf 5s have a narrower string spacing at the bridge, which can make it more difficult for popping (tripping over the strings).

15. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Bongo 5, definitely. Best value for the dollar. You can spend more -- just not sure you'll get a better guitar -- though I agree that if you're a slapper, the Bongo probably doesn't have the spacing. For the one song I do in our group, I switch to my Josh Paul 5 as it's more conducive to slapping and popping than the Bongo

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've played a number of great 5-strings, with very good low B's, but the best of them so far has been my Skjold Custom 5.

Tom.

17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    The two best B's I've ever heard are on Roscoes and Dingwalls. Beyond that, I'd say that Sadowskys, Laklands, and Pedullas are close to the top of the list.

18. jablues

jablues

Oct 17, 2005
    Seville, Spain.
    Warwick Streamer Stage II 5. :eek:

19. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    +1 on the Roscoe B...they really ARE that good.:eek:

Also, I just bought a Spector Rebop 5 bolt-on that has a very nice B string. Plenty available used for a very reasonable price, but the string spacing is a bit on the narrow side.

Shawn

20. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I've played all the basses mentioned in this thread, with the exception of the Dingwalls. In my expirence the best B string I've ever played was on a Benavente. It was the most articule strong B I've ever played! It comes at a price (unless you go for a Vortex), but well worth it if you're going to spend the money.