Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 5 string fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alla, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    After a long time I have decided to get a brother for my Jazz MIA 4 string with seymour duncan preamp. I think I will buy a 5 string fretless 'cause like very much the sound of a fretless and 'cause the B string give me more chordal possibility.
    Which bass do you suggest. Think that my budget is approx 750 $.
    Wait for advice.
    THX.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IMO chords on a fretless are an -extremely- difficult proposition. Believe me it's hard enough getting intonation correct on one string at a time withouth having to deal with multiple strings. :eek:

That said I occasionally play chords on my 5 and they sound great, if a little "intonation challenged" at times. ;)

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the lakland Skyline and the KIngston fretless are great- email me if you would like to hear the fretless skyline- i have a short mp3 that i need to post on my site, but im using a new program and have to figure it out- peace!

4. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    I don't mean chordal like "to play chords" I mean I like the tone and the MWWAAAAHHHH... Sorry for my English .... Remember I have only 750$

5. Ah, Adrian...ever the salesman.

For $750, you could look at the MTD Kingston, a Cort Curbow, or perhaps a used Carvin with options. What about an Ibanez BTB model?

Many players are going to Fender or Warwick. I don't personally care for either, but that would be something you would have to decide.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Either one of these would be superb. I know they're slightly off-topic, but I seldom pass up an opportuniy to post.

[​IMG]

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Of course, one of these would be even better!:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Y'know, I been thinkin' 'bout gettin' me one o' them furniture-style basses.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's perfect for serving espresso and cappucino.

10. I'm going to second Adrian's recommendation of getting either a Lakland Skyline or MTD Kingston Heir.

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    ... got th' removable laigs, 'n' all ...

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I don't know what it is with me and all the apostrophes tonight, but I do believe they are all used correctly.

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps

hmm- the funny thing is - i only sell it because i believe in it- and i wasnt aware that i was being ever the salesman- hope im not getting on anyones nerves- if i seem pushy. i think quite a few TBers know that i dont do the hard sell- in fact ive helped a few cats that have been open about buying elsewhere from the beginning- sorry to sound like im defending myself- i guess ill cool the sellling thing- peace!!

14. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    try the Kingston AND the Heir.

in another thread, i posted how "I" preferred the tone of the Kingston over the Heir.

and i originally was hesitant to buy a single pickup bass.

something about the K5, it has more of what i was looking for tonewise.

i can get some pretty convincing uprightish tone from the K5 playing up by the neck. and Jacoish stuff down by the bridge.

sure does bloom!!!

and it rocks like a muther!

fred

15. I am going to thirds Adrian. The Lakland and MTD Kingstons are awesome and really good. Not to mention they are closer to your price range than those others mentioned. I am getting a Lakland 5501 myself.:)

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    those you named are for sure great basses. but here in italy i am afraid that for that price you will be able to buy only a Cort. which, by the way, are good basses.

17. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    This is my greatest problem .....