Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which 5-string should i get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plunkrocker3, May 6, 2001.

1. plunkrocker3

plunkrocker3

Apr 12, 2001
    Florida
    Im lookin in to gettin a five string i don't know which type to get you guys have any reccomendations? i was lookin to get a Tobiaz but Gibson bought them i think and i can't find any. Is the Epiphone EB-3 5-string any good?

2. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    According to the Gibson site, the major distributor for Tobias basses is MusicYo. If you want Michael Tobias' basses, check out MTD, Michael Tobias Design. I don't know much about these basses as I've never played any of them. I have been told that the MTD Kingston is a good one. I would say that as much as you can, play as many different fivers before you decide.

3. I myself own and Ibanez Soundgear, and personally these are the best buy for your money, proffesional sounding, nice tight B string, which is the problem with some of the other 5 strings. bet if your willing to spend some serious dollars, visit Warwick Basses, best basses I hafe ever used, but expensive.

4. I suggest comparing a five with a good six. Compare the sound and tension of the "e" string. I'll bet you will like the six better, and I really don't know why.
    My experience with fives under $1000 is a bad "e" compared to fours of the same price.
    Six's above $1000 seem to be really well balanced sonically.
    I'm getting ready to buy a Fernandes six, and it sounds far better than a Stingray 5 or Fender Roscoe Beck 5, both of which I have owned.

5. moved to basses forum

Eric the moderator

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Only ever been to guitar center, eh? ;)

Don't buy a Soundgear. Please.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Soundgear? Oh sweet god no! Those have some of the worst B strings man ever created (right after rogue). They have weak pups, not to mention they aren't much on the looks side.

Go MTD, Cort, Ibanez BTB (the best bass Ibanez makes, not to mention a heckuva bass anyway), Tobias, almost anything But Soundgear...

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    any of the fender fives are decent, i really dig the ibanez gary willis bass, music man's fives are great, if you can find a higher end bass used i'd do that though, in general low B's on cheapy basses SUCK.

oh...and if you can find a bass with a 35" scale that almost guarantees a good B.

jason

9. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I was suckered into buying a soundgear by those friendly folks at GC. I still regret it.

10. toolfanhere

toolfanhere

Aug 17, 2000
    i own a 5 string soundgear and i personally love it. of course warwicks are the way to go if you hav the money but for ibanez will provide quality sound for a cheap price.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ibanez ... uh, never mind.

12. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    I have an Ibanez SR885 which is currently my main bass. I like the feel & the look of it a lot. IMO, it's one of the sexiest looking basses. The B is tight enough to be distinct. Soundwise, it's o.k., nothing great. I was pretty satisfied with the SR's sound until I tried out a Pedulla Rapture J2 & a Zon Sonus Custom 5. Both very sexy, felt & played great, and both sounded a whole lot better than the SR. Now I have a three alarm case of GAS.

13. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    IBanez.. ick.... no comment.... other than BTB *pats BTB basses*

one word for u.. "Warwick" heheh ^_^ try the Thumb 5 Bolt on.. nice agressive sounds... i mean i love the Neck thru ones better but they cost alot more .. but very nice basses

DM

14. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Oi!!! I love my SDGR!!! It looks soooo much better than almost anything I have seen, although the Warwicks are nice if you are the King or something... For playability per £ the Ibanez wins easily, give me an example of another cheap 5 string that looks and sounds better than a SoundGear. Anyway I'm off to smother my Soundgear with kisses and love...

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

word.

jason

16. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ

word up dawg!! or something like that :D

17. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Ok, I'm going to have to throw in my .2, I have to say check out a Stingray. I personally think they have a great sounding low B, and hey they won Bass Player magazine's award for best 5-string. They look great, the neck is fast and a killer sound. I got mine at a GC and was able to talk them down to just over a grand for it which was a good deal on it. So at least give it a look.

18. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    buy a Reverend Rumblefish 5, tight B ,35 " scale , suit to budget below US1000, fast neck, killer tone for the price, durable [scratch proof]. Otherwise a Sadowsky.
    Don't buy Warwick bolt-on, neck very unstable.

19. Petew4001

Petew4001

Dec 15, 2000
    IMHO...I love my Rickenbacker 4003S/5(MG). It's got that Rickenbacker sound as well as the RIC feel. It has a nice thin neck very similar to a 4001. Mine has the Toaster pups, and a mono input. The finish on this bass is amazing. For my money, I'll take a Rickenbacker every time.

20. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Unfortunatly, I agree with the Ibanez bashing. I have owned a Soundgear 6, and currently play an Ergodyne 605, and I am not happy with the low B on either one. The rest of the strings are passable, but the B is just not there. In this case, within reason, the more high end you go, the better a low E and B you will get.

I can't wait to go to Bass Central in June and play with all the toys. :)