Which 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metal123, Sep 7, 2001.

1. I am looking at buying a good five string now that i have tried it out. I was looking at getting either an Ibanez EDA905 or an ESP C-305 does anyone know which is better, or can u suggest a better one in the 600-700 dollar price range?
  2. Imabassplayr

Aug 5, 2001
    mtd kingston 5 (its on musiciansfriend www.musiciansfriend.com), conklin gt5, carvin basses (www.carvin.com), hamer cruise, spector ns2000 and fender deluxe active 5 string. There are a lot of choices. I havne't tried the basses your'e looking at but many agree that the kingston 5 is a very good bass for the price.
  3. What about a Carvin B5? is that a good bass? what else could i get thats really good for 600-700 dollars.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Do not forget the Yamaha RBX765a.

What you could get for 700 dollars that's REAL good, is a used bass. Look around.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In that price range, my first choice would be the MTD Kingston 5. Easily the best 5 string under $1000, and better than a lot of $2000 5 stringers.

The only other under $1000 5 I would be interested in is the Ibanez BTB405.
  6. so i have heard kingston is the best, and it looks like it has a good price, I just haven't ever seen one before, i know you have a lot of expertise embellisher, would the MTD be good for regular rock to hard rock bass playing? Cause im not gonna be using it for jazz or blues.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, The MTD would rock. With that MM pup, it would most likely cut through well, with some good punch. And, also, the Black ones look cool. We all know that cool looking basses are the best for playing rock.;):D

Actually, I'm with Embellisher, the BTB, or the MTD, or bust. The BTB's have a wide neck, so if you like some extra space between the strings, that's your baby. BTB or MTD?...that could get ugly, though, IMHO, the MTD has better electronics...er, the couple that I played did anyway...
  8. tobias

Sep 5, 2001
    I just bought the Ibanez BTB405, and OMG!!!! IVE been playin for 15 years now, and it by far surpasses anything ive touched under $1000. THe electronics are unbievable, its just pure awsome! and fits in a standard Fender bass case ) ((hint: dont by the overpriced 140. dollar case they try to sell ya ))
  9. embellisher

Brendan, the MTD has a wide neck too, but feels easier to play because of the assymetrical neck.
  10. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001

Better bass in every way.
  11. I like your choise of the Ibanez EDA. That piezo bridge sounds amazing, and there is a ton of new technique that you can throw in there with a bridge pup like that. The body's a little weird for my tastes, but sounds great.

Rock on
  12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    the btb has an assymetrical neck too doesnt it?

i recently played an MTD and it definatly gives great bang for the buck in that price range. Id definatly go with that over the eda. The MTD has a much better tone IMO
  13. Embellisher, I'm thinking of getting a Transparent Black BTB405, so does it sound like the BTB1005? I know they have nearly the same everything except the neck and the body...would those two make that much of a difference?
  14. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    i know im not embellisher, but yes, the those two will make a difference a big difference. they like the fender mia jazz bass dlx and mim dlx active jazz, sound very different. if you can play them both back to back and im pretty sure youll hear a difference.
  15. tobias

Sep 5, 2001
    BASSnSAX ----

I played both 405 and 1005 and found no difference at all. ELectronics are the same, woods are different - and in mine and Peller music's(local music store)opinon they also agree that there isnt a noticable difference- not one that warrants the severe price diff....... but this is only my opinon, i have the 405 and love it!!!
  16. Would I be an idiot if I popped in an active circutry into that MTD? I know I'd have to drill some holes but would that affect the sound too much?

Also what qualities does the Mahogany body on the BTB505 have versus the Basswood back/Quilted Maple Top of the BTB405? Please keep in mind I play metal!
  17. tobias

Sep 5, 2001

this may help a bit, Maybe--

Honeslty the BTB is designed for the faster player - due to the new string arrangment spacing between each string.. i think itll be perfect for yor style, I used to play metal for 10 years and i know id love it for metal, but really- it only comes down to one thing only - how does it feel to you? does it call you - My 405 did, and thats why i finally made the move. Id been in the store at least 12 times in 3 weeks, seen many Cirrus, BTB, MTD, so on and so on- then i seen it, played it, and we were one. With tha being said, I leave this one on a famous qoute youll be familiar with---

"Nothing Else Matters"

just how it feels to you.
  18. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I;ve had my Kingston 5 since Nov. 2000,and if you ever open up the cover on the back you'll se that there's plenty of room for electronics,batteries,etc. I haven't felt the need to do that with mine so far,I like the sound a lot as is.
  19. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    MTD Kingston 5

20. embellisher

The 400 series does not, but the 1000 series does.