which 5-string???????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EsTeBan, Dec 27, 2001.

1. EsTeBan

Dec 15, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    I have almost enough money to buy my first 5-string bass. But I need your knowledge and your help. Which of these basses do you think is the best bass overall. I mean: construction, sound, feel and value wise.

1. Spector NS-2000/5 ($750)
    2. MTD Kingston 5 ($500)
    3. Ibanez BTB 405 ($600)
    4. Lakland Skyline Series 5 ($750)

PLease help...any advice is welcome.
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have only played the Spector and the Ibanez. Both are very nice basses.
    But from what I have heard mentioned about the others, you can't go wrong with any of the choices that you listed. Keep in mind the Kingston is passive, so if you are looking for an active preamp, you won't get it with that one.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    construction: mtd or Lakland

sound and feel well thats going to be different for everyone who plays it. What I think feels good, you may not, as well as what sounds best, what i or others like you may not. You gotta use your own ears and hands to determine those. Play them all for at least 30 mintues to see which you think sounds and feels best to you.
  4. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    You could get a good used Rick for that!
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd go for the Spector. It's a GREAT BASS. It has a good set of pickups & a good pre-amp. The neck feels great.

The Ibanez BTB is the BEST BASS in the Ibanez line (my opinion of corse). I've played a lot of them at work & I keep wondering to my self "Why is the BTB-405 so CHEAP".

I'd also like to to try the Laklands. I want to try the 55-02 (about $1200 :() I've heard nothing but good things about both of the Skylines.

The thing about the Kingston is the single MM style pick up. I've never been fond of any bass (sound wise) that had that style of pick up. Also, I don't like how it looks. The pickguard looks kinda weird. Don't they make a 2 pick up version with the J/MM configuration? Is so I'd give that a look.

What ever you deceide you;ll have a great bass!!!!
  6. I completely agree. That's why I didn't buy it instead of the Ibanez BTB.

To EsTeBan: All four of those basses are some of the best basses for under $1000. I'll second that you can't go wrong with either of them. However, the best out of those four...IMO, the Lakland is the top dog of those four. But don't just take my advice. Like Cassanova said, try them all out for yourself for a good bit.
  7. EsTeBan

Dec 15, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    I appreciate all your help. The problem is that I'm from Puerto Rico, and no store here sells niether the Spector, MTD or Lakland. I have played the Ibanez BTB 400QM and it sounded good. But I'm curious about those other basses (the Lakland and Spector specially).

That's why I need your opinion. Since I can't try these basses before I buy them, I need your guidance.

Thank you again...