Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 5 String?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bentem, May 15, 2003.

1. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I have been loooking to get a 5 string bass, about $500-600, i play mostly rock and blues, but i want something relatively versitale, and i kind of want a red one. Sorry if this kind of thread is geting repetitve. After some searching, and store- playing, heres a list that i have compiled, If you have any other suggestions, they are welcome.Thanks in advance.

-Schector stilleto elite
    -Conklin GT-5(my favrite, but ive only played the 4 string version)
    -G&L tribute 2500
    -ESP C305(not so good looking)

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For $600, you could score a used Lakland Skyline (a new one is like $700) 55-01. That would be the best thing you could ask for, for versatility and price. I personally think the MTD Kingstons are a better playing bass, but they also don't have two pickups and an active EQ.

But the Skyline gets the official nod.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The SkyLine is a nice choice.

I'd also try a Fender MIM Jazz Deluxe 5. Very nice active bass & I like the sound better then the USA Deluxes* that cost over twice as much.

*I like the MIM better then the USA Noisless p/u equipped Deluxes

4. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Bump

I was the high bidder on a GT-5 on ebay, but someone outbid me with 15 seconds left. Those sons of bitches.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I echo the Lakland. For $500-600 there's not much that can touch it. And as Nino stated, the MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe is a great deal. I just picked up a used 4-string and was very pleased with the workmanship and sound. It has USA electronics and PU's and an alder body. I replaced the bridge with an ABM top load bridge and it's ready to rock and roll!

6. I've got a transparent red Warwick Streamer Standard five string that I'm trying to sell for $500. It's in good shape, but it does have a few small scratches. Let me kow if you're interested.

7. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    About 7 weeks back? It was probably me... :)
    If it makes you feel better, the bass still hasn't arrived...! Damn USPS and customs...

Russ :bassist:

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You should check out the Tobias Toby at MusicYo. BP magazine gave the Toby a good ITPR review. The finish on them is nice, and they have red, and it does look good. A pretty nice, neck-thru instrument for the money ($599). They're giving away a 60 watt Electar bass amp w/12" speaker with purchase. MusicYo

9. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    XO bionic, no, this one was thursday night. I think i gotta re-work my ebaying strategy.

10. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I think a used 55-01 would be a great choice if you want something versitle. Plus, it does come in red.

11. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Check out the Carvin B5. You can probably find one used in the $500-600 price range or less. New, they're about $700 and up.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    My first choice in your price range would be a Carvin B5. My second choice would be a Skyline 55-01.

Good luck!