Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 5 strings electric bass you advice me ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kridrazil, Nov 10, 2002.

1. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    Hi,

I have a question : I am considering to purchase a 5 strings electric bass, I am looking for a versatile instrument. I play mainly rock, pop and few others styles ...
    As I am playing guitar also, I really don't want a very big and large neck with very long scale lenght ...
    I am a novice in 5 strings, so could you advice me some good models of 5 strings electric bass please ??
    Price range : around 1000/1200 dollars or a little more, I think I will buy a used bass in mint condition.

I saw severals models like Musicman Sterling 5, G&L L-1505/L-2500, Rickenbacker 4004/5CII or 4003/S5 ...
    All advices on differents models and manufacturers of 5 strings electric bass will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Sounds like a Music Man Stingray 5 would be perfect for you. They have the tone and also have a 34" scale neck wtih fairly tight string spacing. Bass Central has a lot of them in stock in your price range. www.basscentral.com

Chuck

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Music mans are great. You might want to consider a more high end preowned bass. Sounds as if you don't mind spending the cash. Roscoe, Warwick, Zon

Rob

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well.. I would go with a musicman STINGRAY... there is no Sterling 5-string.. even though the SR 5 is more like the sterling than the 4-string stingray..

I used to own a MM SR5 and its a great bass

5. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    Any others advices for high end preowned bass like
    Roscoe, Warwick, Zon, Modulus, MTD, Lakland, Shecter ??

6. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    modulus, lakland, mtd all have big wide necks with relatively wide string spacing and (for the most part) 35 inch scales.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    modulus quantums have the "killer B." there is no competition, imo.

i also really like roscoes. powerfully bass-heavy. damn cool. :cool:

the only zon i've played is gard's fretless. it rocks serious ass. it is probably comparable to a modulus fretless (but slightly warmer?). not sure about price difference.

8. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Ontario
    warwicks have great low end(and everywhere in between)

joel

9. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    fender fmt

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

With that kind of budget, I would have to rcommend you look out for a used Czech Spector - and NS5CR of an NS5CR FM! There should be some floating around!

11. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I don't think a Warwick would be good for him. A wider string spacing, and the neck dive / weight would kill him (if he's looking for something closer to a guitar weight/scale)

Great sound, but I think the style woulnd't fit as well as some others.

12. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I always thought Warwick string spacing was on the tighter side.

13. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    that's what i thought.
    huge baseball bat profile, and tiny string spacing.
    that's why i could never play warwick.

i know they have special order wide neck versions though... i tried to find one to try out (to no avail)

14. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I suppose that's true. I don't have much expierence with a variety of basses. I was more positive of the weight aspect anyway :)

15. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    What do you think of Alembic or Pedulla ??

16. Warwick is one of the few manufacturers who list their string spacing in the specs : 16,5 mm at the bridge for five string, 19 mm for the four string.

17. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    It depends on your style. If you slap a lot or have big hands, the Rickenbacker would be out. Otherwise, it would be hard to beat.

You really should look at the Peavey Cirrus, it's a lot of bass for the money.

18. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    To answer yours questions : I don't have big hands or small hands : I would say normal hands ...
    I don't slap a lot in fact, but sometimes it happens if a song need a slap part.
    I really love the Rickenbacker sound but there are not very versatile bass in my view ...
    About scale lenght, I am agree that 34" scale neck will be the best.
    About the neck, I try to find a bass who don't have a too thick and too large neck.

19. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    You know a Sadowsky 5 strings will be awesome, but there are too expensive, even if it is a used one ...
    They are so versatile, and what to say about the sound : great, awesome, huge ...

Do you know a bass (but less expensive), who sound as good as a Sadowsky ??