Which $500-$600 bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bino, Aug 12, 2004.

Which $500-$600 bass?

Poll closed Aug 19, 2004.
  1. Tribute L2000

8 vote(s)
  2. KSD Proto-J

9 vote(s)
  3. Fender Geddy Lee

20 vote(s)
  4. Fender Classic 60 J

5 vote(s)
  5. Peavey Fury

2 vote(s)
  6. Lakland 44-01

10 vote(s)
  7. other

4 vote(s)
  1. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    On the hunt for a NEW bass in this price range. I mainly like "fenderish" stuff and would truthfully get a 75 Jazz RI or Lakland DJ if I had the cash. I'm a family man (not the Family Man) and I don't gig for money, so unless I get an inheritance I'll never be in the market for a $1000+ bass. I currently own a decent Peavey P-copy. What's your thoughts?
  2. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    A used Lakland Skyline 55-01 or maybe even a 55-02 if you get lucky and find one cheap. They are "Fenderish" and the quality is outstanding for the price.
  3. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    oh sorry just noticed you are looking for a 4 string....Then I vote for the 44-01!!!
  4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I voted for the Proto-J 'cause, I dunno--it seems to me a decent $500 alternative to a USA 75 RI. I'd definitely choose that over a MIM 60's Fender J--eew, you can do better.
  5. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
  6. The Aerodyne is a great bass. I have played the KSD bass, and for the money, I can't imagine a much nicer bass. The 70j would really give you the look of the Fender Reissue you want.
  7. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    on off my favorite fenders :)
  8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Mmmmmmma baby.
  9. BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    you can get a Spector legend for about 600 on guitar center site, id get a spector otherwise a Tribute would be good too. But if I was you I'd try playing each one of those on yer list and get the one that u think plays and sounds the best. :)
  10. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Get a used, beat up, mutiliated Ric.
  11. if you're into the fender vibe, it's hard to beat the geddy lee jazz. that is one sweet instrument in both sound and feel -- it's no surprise they sell so often.

i didn't really like the sound of the 44-01 i played at lakland; the 44-02 fit my preferences much better. of course, if you're look at peavey basses, the new cirrus BXP should be in the $600 to $650 range new in the stores ($719 list). i far prefer the cirrus BXP to the fury IV.

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
  13. My opinion is the Tribute L2000, they are very versatile ! :)
  14. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Thanks for the replies. I've heard that the Geddy Lee is great and I've even seen some great jazz concerts where the bassist is playing one, but I'm concerned I won't like such a think neck. The MIM 60's I have played were pretty nice and the neck felt just right. And I just threw the Fury in there as a "what the hell". I don't really even know what one looks like, much less sounds like. But that KSD is looking nicer every minute, especially considering it comes with a preamp and only cost about $100 more than the Fenders.
  15. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    For a second I thought that was mine. Then I realized it had a maple board. Then I realized it was a 4 string. :(
  16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I think you should wait and save another $600.00.
    Money is tight, and god knows I'am not rich, but tere is such a big difference between a $600.00, bass and a $1200.00,
    If your serious, about playing bass, in the long run you will have a good bass that will last you years.
  17. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I would highly recomend the Spector Legend, or better yet a Q4 if you can still find one somewhere (they are discontinued and can be had for a song.)

KSD Proto-J would also be a great choice, although you may not like the slightly chuncky neck.

Lots of used options out there. If you are a jazz kinda' guy, why not a used American Jazz? Other used basses to consider would be the Peavey Foundation, Carvin B4, Lakeland 44-01 (good luck finding one), or who knows what else that might pop up. :bassist:
  18. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I can't vote. You don't have the Cort Artisan on your list. :rollno:
  19. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    duder, go with the geddy. If you want fender tone go with fender. Makes sense right?