Which 5AR4/GZ34..???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Are there any differences in these rectifier tubes. I have a pair of Amperex that one is shot. I can get some used Mullards for $60./pr. or $30./for Checz. The amp(Sunn 2000S) sounded great till the rec. went. I would like to keep it within specs.So maybe the SS diodes would kick the amp up too much.
  2. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've used the chinese one and it's been fine. I'm sure the Czech would be better though, and of course the Mullards the best of the ones you listed.
  3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Mullards, because of the name, or do you hace experience with them? Thanks
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, my 2c is that I'd stay far away from Chinese tubes (they've been known to take out entire amps when they go). The JJ version (Czech) GZ34 is excellent, very reliable and hard to kill. Mullards are excellent too (for the same reasons), but now that the JJ's are out it's hardly worth paying 80 bucks for a tube. But Mullard was kinda like the GE of the UK, they made tubes for just about everyone and you can often find rebranded Mullards for far less than the going rate. Based on my experience so far with the JJ's, they're every bit as good as the Mullards. Too early to tell over the longer term, but so far so good.
  5. Hey RockBobby,

FWIW I just had Aztec Electronics in Watertown MA go over my recently aquired Ampeg B25-B and Tom replaced the Chinese 5AR4 with a brand-spanking new Electro-Harmonics 5AR4EH and the amp sounds pissah. I think that the tube was less than $20. Tom knows his stuff and I trust him 110%. Just ask Funkster about how great his SVT sounds now after Tom worked on it.