1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which 5'er of these 4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MEKer, Mar 16, 2008.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Not being able to drop a ton o' green onto a new 5'er, which of these models will get most thumbs up from players who have the experience with them?

Fender Jazz Bass 24 V 5-String
    Schecter Stiletto Elite-5
    Fernandes Tremor Deluxe 5-String
    Washburn Force 5

2. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    IMHO and IME, the Fender will serve you the best. However, try them all, and whatever speaks to, pick up and don't look back. Goodluck man, this is fun!:hyper:

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Fender will also have the best resale value, and will get you the most respect from non-bassists (many of whom think Fender is the only good brand).

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Fender.

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    hmmm....you need to give yourself a few more choices- these basses are very different. So far, the Fender.

6. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    the Fender.

7. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    wow-as far as that goes its pretty definitive. Thanks. So the Fender---its a beauty also with the unusual quilted burst top. The only gripe I've heard in conversation is that I am making a mistake going with a 34" and that unless its a 35" I'll be sorry.. ??

8. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Don't forget Lakland 55-01s and Ibanez BTB or SR series.

9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    ....or an MTD Kingston Artist.

10. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    The debate over 34" vs 35" is mostly around the firmness of the B string. When I bought my Deluxe MIA JV, the B string was terribly floppy but I took it to a luthier and with a heavier set of strings and a proper set-up, it's great.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    If you gat an active bass get a 3 band circuit ... with just a 2 band circuit the bass will be boomy and dinky and won't have the mids to cut through ...

I had a schecter C5 and it sounded great by itself but with the band it got lost and didn't cut through ...

:hyper::bassist:

12. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    I'd go for the washburn cos its cheap and built better than any of the other basses menchoned above. Though if i achully was doing it I would also go 4 the fender just for the fact that its a pretty and recognizable bass.