1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which 5'ers have the lowest neck radius? Or most curve to the fret board?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by qervo, Mar 15, 2013.

1. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    I wondering what five string basses have the most curve to the fret board. I play a MMSR five string and I think the neck radius is 11, I could be wrong but are there others with a smaller radius?

2. Gigabajillion

Gigabajillion

Sep 19, 2006
    Spring Hill, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Bluesman Vintage, Ernie Ball
    My Classic Stingrays are 7 1/2". I love 'em!!

3. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    That must be a 4 string, right ? I love the feel of my MMSR5 and I recently bought a SB5000 which sounds great but has a flatter fretboard, 14 radius. All my life I just played whatever was in my hands at the time but now I am really noticing what actually suits my hand the best .

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Most of my basses (all 5ers or 6ers) including my most-played G&Ls are 11-12. I have a couple flatter necks but I don't like them as well. The bass that feels the best in my hands is my Alembic (it's a 6er) and it has a 9! But when I was ordering fingerboards to mod my basses to fretless, I ordered them all pre-radiused to 12. Call me a sheeple, but I just decided to go with the crowd. Also I figured it wouldn't be as hard to set everything up if the new curvature was closer to the previous one.

5. Gigabajillion

Gigabajillion

Sep 19, 2006
    Spring Hill, TN
    Actually they are 5ers! I played Warwick for a couple years. I think those are like 22 or something really flat. The MM's feel really good.

6. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    Are they real classic MMs or are they the new "classic" ones that are out now? Mine is a EB 2002. I guess they changed after EB took over. All I know is mine feels great (11 radius) so I can only imagine how good a 9 or 7 would feel. They say that for slapping a flat board is optimal but obviously if MMs are curved that much it can't be true.

7. Gigabajillion

Gigabajillion

Sep 19, 2006
    Spring Hill, TN
    They are the "new" Classics. I don't do much slapping so I can't speak for that, but I did use a "Regular" SR5 a while back and it felt a lot bigger. For my smaller hands the smaller radius fits like a glove.

8. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    Do they have the poly finish necks or the natural finish?

9. Gigabajillion

Gigabajillion

Sep 19, 2006
    Spring Hill, TN
  10. Funk_Pirate

Funk_Pirate

Oct 6, 2012
    The Marcus miller sig is 7 1/4" radius.