Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 6-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by utopia_imminent, Aug 30, 2004.

Which 6-String?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2004.
  1. Warmoth Gecko 6

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. Tobias Toby Pro-6 (with upgraded activities & pups)

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Carvin LB76P

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    which 6-string should i get?

2. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i have a carvin LB76 (from before the piezo upgrade was available)

i havent played the toby but i can only imagine that its a piece of ****. the gecko, however, looks sick

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Not having had any of those in my hands, but having heard things about them on TB, I'd vote Gecko

4. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Toby pro 6 by musicyo is a gadget for me.

My warmoth bass is incredible. Wood and finish quality is really ok. You can make a killer bass with good hardware (hipshot ultralite...) and great pick ups (like nordstrand s ones on my jazzbass).

5. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    ***Warning: Shameless Plug***

You should buy my warwick corvette.

6. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    A pre 2002 corvette is a good choice too. You must try it before.

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I have to say Carvin, I just bought one and I love it. like buttter.

8. im gonna have to 3rd that motion for a Corvette, they're beasts but theyre soooooo worth the money, if you cann find one used you'll prolly get a deal as not too many warwick owners abuse their basses and it cuts quite a bit off retail price if its used

9. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Gecko. Wide neck if you have fat fingers and thumb, like me. Had a carvin, it was marginal to me...too narrow spacing, I felt cramped. Get piezos put into whatever you get, you won't regret it. The Toby I played was OK for string spacing, but the generic pickups with the Tobias stickers sucked. So did the "Active EQ". Should have named it "Chinese-made noise injection unit". Gecko would be my choice, given the funds...

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    4th one for Corvette. I have one and really dig it

11. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'd vote Carvin, but I suggest the BB76P. I had both an LB76 and a BB76P and I prefer the balance of the BB body style, so I sold the LB. Lots of yummy tones available with the P series electronics!

On the other hand, a Matt Pulcinella Level 6 has replaced the BB as my favorite 6... but it is a bit more expensive and not as tonally versatile.

12. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    what's the string spacing like on the bunny brunel model? i really like the spacing on my LB76; it feels awkward every time i play something wider

13. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    By the way, what is your price range? I may be able to make some suggestions as to other basses to check out.

14. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I'm voting (already did) for the Carvin. I've had an LB76 for over 10 years, ordered it new and I still love it. Up until I built myself a six string this year, it has been my second #1 bass (it has shared top billing with my old P-bass... what can I say?...). The fit, finish, build quality and quality of materials is top notch. I also like the neck shape, thickness, and width of the LB76. I'm not as big a fan of their 4 and 5 string basses, as the same profile I like on a 6 string feels too thin on a 4 string... They also have a great warranty and a 10 day no questions asked return policy.

I've seen a few of the Toby pro's, and while they were okay basses in their price range, they're not great basses. By the time you buy two new pickups and a pre-amp, then new pots, etc., to upgrade it you're spending and extra $300 or so...

I've not played a Gecko, but I have played and seen many other Warmoth products and have always been impressed by the quality of their work. Spend the extra $$ and have them put a finish on it, or build the whole bass, if you do not have experience finishing and building kits.

So, of the basses you have listed in your poll, I guess it would be between the Gecko and Carvin and I would make the decision based on the differences in the neck profile and shape. Both are great products.... fwiw you could find a really nice used Carvin LB76 for a really good price... other than that I'd recommend one of my 6'ers for ya!

15. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Same as the LB76.