Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pickebass, Jan 30, 2006.

Which 6 string bass

Poll closed Mar 1, 2006.
  1. Ken Smith

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. F bass

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. MTD

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  4. NYBW

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    OK, I'm trying to get a more real world number of instruments. I have narrowed it down to the following 6 strings..

Ken Smith (which I own)
    MTD 635
    F bass (5 OR 6)
    NYBW

I play a mix of jazz, r&b and gospel. Would like to make one of these my "main" bass. Check my profile. I have a few others as you can see (see profile) and trying to narrow it down to a few extended range basses. (No my Jazz basses aren't going anywhere)

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Well, you already have the Smith, which is something I personally would love to have in my collection. So, if I were in your envious position, I would definitely keep the Smith and try to add the Bass Works.

The F basses, while beautifully constructed, just don't do anything for me, same for the MTD's. I'd rather go into a Roscoe instead of the F or MTD if I was looking for that "flavor" in a bass.

I'm probably way in the minority here, but the NYBW is a really nice bass that is perfectly suited to your preferred music style (which is the same as mine). The Smith and NYBW would be a heck of a tag team ........ :cool:

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Were I in your place I'd opt for the MTD 635.. Nothing at all wrong with the others (though I've never been a big fan of Smiths and have never played NYBW), just personal taste.

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Haha...and a third opinion: F Bass!

Based on your style, and the fact that you already have a Smith. I've never played a NYBW though. I've owned an F and Ken Smith and have played a bunch of MTDs, which are nice but IMO would be a bit redundant with the Smith (and your Tobias). F offers that deep super jazz sound and feel...I think that'd be a great complement to your collection.

Marshall

5. f bass cus they not only sound amazing, but are tooo sexy.

6. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I voted MTD, but I'd add Roscoe to the list! In fact, I'm ordering a Roscoe to cover just those styles of music.