1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pickebass, Jan 30, 2006.

Which 6 string bass

Poll closed Mar 1, 2006.
  1. Ken Smith

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. F bass

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. MTD

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  4. NYBW

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    OK, I'm trying to get a more real world number of instruments. I have narrowed it down to the following 6 strings..

Ken Smith (which I own)
    MTD 635
    F bass (5 OR 6)
    NYBW

I play a mix of jazz, r&b and gospel. Would like to make one of these my "main" bass. Check my profile. I have a few others as you can see (see profile) and trying to narrow it down to a few extended range basses. (No my Jazz basses aren't going anywhere)

2. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Well, you already have the Smith, which is something I personally would love to have in my collection. So, if I were in your envious position, I would definitely keep the Smith and try to add the Bass Works.

The F basses, while beautifully constructed, just don't do anything for me, same for the MTD's. I'd rather go into a Roscoe instead of the F or MTD if I was looking for that "flavor" in a bass.

I'm probably way in the minority here, but the NYBW is a really nice bass that is perfectly suited to your preferred music style (which is the same as mine). The Smith and NYBW would be a heck of a tag team ........ :cool:

3. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Were I in your place I'd opt for the MTD 635.. Nothing at all wrong with the others (though I've never been a big fan of Smiths and have never played NYBW), just personal taste.

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Haha...and a third opinion: F Bass!

Based on your style, and the fact that you already have a Smith. I've never played a NYBW though. I've owned an F and Ken Smith and have played a bunch of MTDs, which are nice but IMO would be a bit redundant with the Smith (and your Tobias). F offers that deep super jazz sound and feel...I think that'd be a great complement to your collection.

Marshall

5. f bass cus they not only sound amazing, but are tooo sexy.

6. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I voted MTD, but I'd add Roscoe to the list! In fact, I'm ordering a Roscoe to cover just those styles of music.