Which 6-stringer is best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gut_Implosion, Oct 3, 2004.

1. I am looking at getting a 6-string bass, and right now I'm looking at the Ibanez BTB406QM and the Spector Legend 6 or possibly the discontinued Spector NS2000/Q6 (if i can still find one).

If anyone has played any or all of these basses and could give some advice, I'd appreciate it, being as all I know about these basses is the written specs and pics.
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Those are all good basses....

Can you be more specific on your needs?
  3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Two things - 1) what's your budget? 2) are you open to buying a used instrument?
    These things are going to affect this discussion significantly.
    Let us know!
  4. And what's going to impact it to the greatest degree......we're not you! Only you can decide which is best for your playing style and needs. People that have played these instruments can offer opinions but only you can decide which is best for you. Play them if possible and let your ears and hands do the deciding. :)
  5. well, all three of those basses are about the same price, but what i dont know is how they sound, and how the action and playability is
  6. Does a store anywhere around you stock these?
  7. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    *nod* yeah, quite a few music stores don't really keep a lot of sixes and on the rare occasion they have a few, they get snatched up quickly.

I'd personally go with Spector. I love the way they feel, balance, and sound. The EMGs get a wide array of usable sounds. I've only tried some Spector 4-strings but I can only extrapolate that the 5s and 6s would be great as well. I've heard people say the Legend is one of the best sixers for the price.

If any stores near you have a 5-string version of the bass you're looking for, that may at least give you an idea as to tone and low B.

And if you're not above buying preowned, you may find something good there as well.

Best of luck finding your ideal sixer.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id go with either of the Spectors, probably the Legend though, because of teh carved top.
  9. i think ill probably go with the legend, but replace the gold :spit: hardware with black :smug: hardware
  10. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    For tone, I'd go for the Spector, you can't beat that Spector growl. But for playability, the Ibanez BTB is, IMHO, better - the wide string spacing makes a lot of difference and the 3-band EQ with the parametric mids make it a very versatile bass.

Russ :bassist:
  11. Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    Have you thought about a Yamaha RBX 6JM? If your lucky you might find one out of the first series for a reasonable price, (I found mine about 2 1/2 years ago for Eur 380,- :D ) and it's probably the best bass I've ever owned. Not much for slapping though.
  12. :scowl: sorry, but I'm not too keen on buying instuments from companies that are also a top manufacturer of toiler-seats in japan.
  13. stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    :scowl: :eyebrow: uhhh, you need to sit down and think before you type. Yamaha makes some of the best factory made sixes ever.

TRB John Patitucci Signature 6 String. $2300

TRB 6PII Bubinga. $3000. One of the best basses ever made.

I love blowing away ignorant fools with my yamaha, solid as a rock and solid tone, when their POS bass is falling apart on them. Not all Yamahas are cheap, and when you pay for one of these, you get more than you can imagine. These are some of their best, you can get a TRB1006 or RBX JM2 for significantly less (1006 is $895). Excellent quality and unsurpassed tone and sustain for the price. I seriously hope you learned something from this l'il lesson, grasshoppa :oops: :cool:
  14. i know that yamaha does make many quality instruments, but i'm just not a yamaha person, and i also noticed that your bass had a $3000 price tag. the yamahas in my price range dont really compare very well against the basses ive been looking at it seems.
  15. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    In terms of sixes in that price range ($800- $1000 list), how would folks say the Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 compares? I've not played one, but they seem like a nice bass.

Or if you don't mind trying sixes in a lower price bracket, I found the Peavey Fury 6 to look, sound, and feel like a much more expensive bass.

And there's always combing the preowned market.
  16. stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    If anybody is interested, like i stated above, the TRB1006 is much cheaper (under 1K) and has the same electronics as the previous TRB6II, in a more compact design. I've played it and plan on getting one soon hopefully, its really a great bass :bassist:
    Also some say the Dean Edge Q6 is a very good bass and around 500 dollars i believe.
  17. My TRB6 MkI was my first bass, and is still my number one (even with a Conklin and an MTD in the stable). :)