1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which A/B pedal to run two preamps into one amp for doubling

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jleguy, Mar 13, 2019.

1. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I getting ready to play in a band that is going to be a doubling situation. For upright I'm using a Grace Felix, but it is too clean for my taste for electric bass. So I want to be able to switch between preamps to run into one amp. Any recommendations on a pedal to do that?

2. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    With Felix, you already have great two channel preamp. If it's too clean for your EB, you can insert Tech 21 VT Bass (or any other overdrive) pedal in front of it.

jleguy likes this.
  3. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    So, the reason I got the Felix for upright is to use the two channels to blend a pickup and mic. When doubling I suppose I could just use one channel of Felix for upright and one for electric.

I'd still like to know what A/B selector pedal would be appropriate to use to switch between two preamps.

4. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    OK, I see.

I think you could use any instrument switcher/selector (such as Radial Bigshot)...as long as output signals from your preamps are instrument level...

BigShot i/o - Radial Engineering

5. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i would just run a preamp that gives you the "color" you like for your BG in between your BG and the felix.

i run a tube preamp from my bass to my Radial JDV 2-channel DI. gives me a little more color when I run it through my AI head which is also pretty clean.

jleguy and Zbysek like this.
  6. Little Lehle II

jleguy likes this.
  7. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I've used a Radial Bassbone, Boss LS2, and a Morely ABY for switching while doubling. If it's just for selecting whichever line you're playing at the moment the Morely will work just fine.

jleguy likes this.
  8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Well,
    Since I have a Grace Designs Felix, I get where you're commig from, but, at least in my case (which may not be yours) if I'm doubling, the gig dosen't generally call for a microphone, because of the volume levels. However, I really like the
    3 Leaf Audio Enabler for EB, unfortunately it's no longer avaliable, but the Vulcan XL Preamp from Pike Amplification is "cut from the same cloth". So, if I were attempting what your are going for, that's what I'd get. Just my take

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 1.27.24 PM.

Zbysek likes this.
  9. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Much appreciated...

I have an Eden preamp pedal I love...so I was thinking an A/B pedal between the Eden and Felix would be the way to go, but I guess just plugging in the Eden into the Felix is the way to go. A mic really won’t work as you mention, and I’m glad you brought that up...

10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Yeah, that will definitely work, I'm lazy so I just use the Grace for both. With a Lakland 55-94 it sounds fine to me. Just my take however

jleguy likes this.
  11. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    For electric I find Eden preamps to be very musical. I have the WTDI pre pedal. Makes any amp sound like my old WT550.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  12. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    No doubt, they the WT 550 for EB sounded very good. I just like the convenience of only taking one Pre Amp. You will undoubtedly get a better sound on EB with the Eden and the WTDI is pretty compact. A large majority of the gigs I play are either DB or EB not doubles. Some concerts will require both, but I always find ( in my situations) that their predominantly one bass or the other. I also have a Fretless Lakland Skyline for those " in between gigs. I'm fortunate that way and thankful for it. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    jleguy likes this.
  13. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    This is my first instance, still being relatively new to upright, where I will need to double...I get where you are coming from

Ric Vice likes this.