Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which affordable preamp to go with Crown CE-2000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mara, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Hi guys,

Still searching for the rig...
    I could get a good used Crown CE-2000 poweramp for a price of a new Firebass or Ashdown MAG400.

Obviously I need a preamp and I don't know anything about them. Could you suggest a cheapish one for me?

How would a SABDDI work with the Crown as a preamp?

Thanks again,

Mara

2. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Preamp is very important part in rack system cause it makes your tone how you hear it. So i dont reccomend you cheapest one. But Ashdown makes rpm1 preamp, very good and costs about 400€ in Europe.

3. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Thanks' for the input Zoran. I understand the function of pre- and poweramps, etc., but I have no experiences in using them. What I'm looking for is a good sounding preamp (either new or used) that won't hurt my wallet too much. I'll check out the Ashdown.

Cheers,

Mara

4. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    You're talking about a 2nd hand RPM-1 aren't you?

-Mara

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I would look into the Ampeg SVP-PRO. I have one & use it with an SVP-1500 power-amp & I love it!!!!

6. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    No, it is new without VAT, you know what I mean, hmmm. We have special dealers. It is just suggestion, check in your country

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I don't know what is cheap in Finland, but I agree with Nino...SVP-Pro best pre for under $500.

8. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Alembic preamps like the F2B and FX-1 (I think that's what it's called) show up used for less than $400us. I have an F2-B and I love it.

9. Yamaha PB-1. Definitely.

Cheers rody

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY