1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Aguilar On-Board Pre for Fender Jaguar JJ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Luckydog, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I have had a MIJ Fender Jaguar bass (with two jazz pickups) laying around for a few years. never played it with the OEM pre, because when switched on, it delivers an ear-piercing screech and oscillation. Something is obviously wrong with it. Because of the bad preamp I am planning to replace it with something else, and was thinking Aguilar. I'm confused as to which Aguilar pre is either, most appropriate, or desired, for this particular bass. OBP-1, 2, or 3. Any thoughts?

2. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    It's up to what you want, 2 band boost only, 2 band boost/cut, 3 band boost/cut with variable mid. Before you change out the pre, have someone look the stock one, there may just be a loose wire, bad solder connection or something else simple.

Mark

3. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Thanks Mark

mwbonsall likes this.
  4. If you want to stick with the roller pots either obp1 or obp2. These are both 2 band and would require the least modification. Probably the obp2 is the easier choice. It is very compact, has boost /cut verses boost only, and was designed for use with only 1 9volt. (The obp1 can be used with one, but is optimized when used with two 9volts ). Definitely have the stock preamp checked. I have a 96 Jag and love it stock.

mwbonsall likes this.
  5. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Thanks bassman, thats very helpful.