Which AI do You Recommend?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by powermans, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Well the good news is as stated below that we "Down Under"have finally moved with the rest of the planet and now can access Äcoustic Image"even though, if ONLY out of Sydney at the present time. Having become familiar with AI products through this Superb Web Site over the last couple of years, I now know that AI make a varity of models however, unfortunately, have NEVER heard or infact SEEN one up close.
    My question to my fellow D/Bers out there is.... if I was to order one of these AI models out of Sydney....(about 1000 KMS to the south of me )unseen and untried!!! which one would you suggest I buy? Contra/ Coda/ Clarus etc.....(forget the dollar costs go for sound/portability) My use would be to run the likes of Realist / or K&K / or Bass Max / from a full size DB into one of these units playing ONLY JAZZ and only a little Arco.
    I currently use GK-400RB X 2-10's and a BX1200 Behringer.
    I really like the Behringer. over the GK. Any suggestions???? :help:
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I think one issue you should consider is your volume needs. The Contra is (to my ears) a wonderfully-realistic amp for upright, but it isn't really best used for higher-volume situations. Seems to me that it's intended use is to supplement your bass volume. If you need more oomph, I'd think the Clarus would be the way to go, and you have the freedom of buying the cab that suits you best.

I just love the portability and ease of use of the Contra. No diddling with separate amp components.