Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which airline to fly...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BGreaney, Mar 29, 2005.

1. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    So, I'm trying to get an idea of what airline would be the best to travel with my bass from New York to Houston. The main thing I'm going for is which airline will be the cheapest as far as oversize and overweight charges. Thanks.

2. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004
    looking at this link made me wonder... are there any bass-friendly airlines?

any airlines which have been easier or more cooperative regarding the special needs of transporting a huge delicate instrument?

3. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    Strangely enough, when I came into JFK on jetblue, the baggage guys came up to the plane wondering whos instruments those were (there were 2 other bassists with me). he started asking a bunch of questions...it was kinda strange, and also an isolated incident i suppose.

4. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Personally I've always had good luck with Northwest airlines. Their overweight charges are not too bad either.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You know I had an extended e-mail correspondance with jetblue about their luggage policy which stated that they wouldn't check anything the size of a bass case (I can't remember what the overall measurement max was at the moment). But you got 3 on? Did you call them ahead of time of just show up? Did you get charged oversize or overweight or anything?

6. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    They charged oversize and overweight at JFK but when I was going home from Rochester they didn't, but I think it was just because they forgot.

7. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    I had a good experience with Southwest a few months back. No arguments about checking the thing, $50 flat each way. I watched the baggage handlers when I could, and they were reasonably careful.

8. Polyanski

Polyanski

Mar 16, 2004
    West Michigan
    You Guys talking about Gig bags or Hard shell cases?

9. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    We're talking about hardshells...i think....

thanks for the input guys.