Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which all tube amps have footswitchable overdrives?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmittuml, Jan 6, 2006.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    SSIA> Wondering what tube amps have an overdrive channel thats footswitchable. Hell which have a seperate channel for it anyways? I was playin around with a big block 750 today (i know not all tube) and was wondering which ones out there have this feature?

thanks in advance.

-Brian

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    www.classic400.com

only one I know that has a full 2 channels with seperate EQ for the clean and dirty sides.

keep in mind... the "tube distortion" that most people think of comes from pushing the powertubes not overloading a 12AX7. No switch will turn that on and off that I'm aware of, so switchable tube heads have similar distorted channels to the GK and Mesa 750.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The SWR Interstellar Overdrive preamp, as well as the Warwick ProTube heads use an EL84 power tube for overdrive, which I hear gets a very convincing tube grind, into a solid state power amp, so you can get the saturated sound at any volume. I have yet to try one, but i'm definately interested!

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Trace Elliot V4/V6/V8 have this option, as does the Eden VT-300 (though it's not a second channel on the Eden).

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't know if it'll satisfy a tube amp connoisseur, but the IOD gets as close to all-tube as any preamp or stompbox I've heard.

C'mon down to Brewster's in Glen Burnie tonight if you wanna check mine out. :)

6. The Sunn/Fender 300T also has a footswitchabledirty channel. With gain/volume/channel 1+2 mix. It works and sounds very good but they also are ont two catual input channels. :cool:

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Maybe not tonight, but i'll definately wanna try it out some other time!

(I didn't realize you were in Crofton, hon) ;)

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    And FWIW, there are also a couple of hybrids (SS power section, tube preamp) which offer switcable overdrives.

Tom.

9. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Slight clarification: the V6 is single-channel. Only the V8s and 2nd-generation V4s have the overdrive and compressor built in to the preamp. All are great amps.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Really? I did not know that. Thanks for the clarification!

Tom.

11. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    AMpeg SVP-BSP