Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHICH AMP? ADVICE PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lazy B., Feb 2, 2004.

1. Hi everyone. I need some advice about which amp to choose. At the moment I own two Trace Elliot amps; one at home (a Boxer 65) and one for the road. I love the sound of both. My problem is that my band is getting more and more gigs - of course thát is not the problem ;) - and that my Trace for the road is just TOO heavy. In other words: I'm looking for an amp with enough power for gigs and a Trace-like sound (or better) that doesn't give me the backache I get now. Your advice please! :help:

2. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    What kind of Trace do you have right now ?

3. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Find some Trace preamp, usually go around 250-300$, and some fine poweramp. But I still don't see which trace amp you use on the road

4. My little Trace is a Boxer 65. My big Trace is an oldie. I think about 15 years old. Don't know it's name, type or whatever. It has a power of 250 Watt, it's model number is 1110 and it's serial number is J51898. Does that provide you with any info?

5. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    My main point was to try get outta you, how much power do you need, and how heavy is too heavy for you.
    So...
    How heavy is it ?
    Is it all-tube ?
    What kind of speaker complement do you have for it ?

6. Eeeeh, I haven't exactly weighed it or anything. But I really need somebody to help me to get it into my car (and I am no dwarf). I think I need about 150W for the gigs I play.

7. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    Come on man, open up, getting the info from you is like pulling teeth ;)
    Google turned up a lot of stuff on the 1110 and I get the picture, although it's not that heavy for a 4x10 combo.
    Now the important question....
    *snare drum roll*
    How much are you willing to spend ?

8. I'm sorry for being so vague. It's just that I'm really no expert when it comes to amps. I bought this one years ago, just for the great sound of it. Untill a few days ago I didn't even know that it was a 250W amp. :p

The money I'm willing to spend? Well eeh, about 500 euro? :meh: Just like most musicians, I'm not that wealthy...

9. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    Actually, from what I've read on the amp, it seems to be 150w :p
    I think the first thing to try in that price range are the Ashdown Electric Blues - fairly common in Europe, and can get relatively close to the trace sound.

10. Allright, thanks for the lead!