1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which amp combo is the best for delivering the most true, original, acoustic upright bass sound?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Tony Valenzo, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Tony Valenzo

Tony Valenzo

Mar 6, 2021
    California
    The combo amp most people mention on this thread will be the one I purchase. Mayority wins.

2. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Title says DB

3. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I like my Acoustic Image gear. But that’s all I own, so not particularly objective.

Jim Dedrick and Michael Eisenman like this.
  4. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

I doubt I'll be in the majority but you should check out this amp regardless. (I have it and I love it).

Gollihur Series Bass Acoustic Array Pro Amplification (Exclusive)

"the most true, original, acoustic upright bass sound" cannot be achieved without using a microphone. Full Stop.

This amp has TWO separate channels with phantom power on each (Necessary for running a condenser microphone). It also has an array of 2.5 inch speakers to get the mids and highs necessary for the true sound of a double bass (in addition to a bass-specific woofer). Also, it has a 'high-hat' speaker stand mount so you can get the amp up off the floor so it projects better and you can hear yourself better.

Here is a clip of me playing through this amp (I also am using an extension speaker). I am using the Xlson Chuck Israels microphone.

City Lights Jazz with MEGHAN CAUSEY Videos | ReverbNation

5. Tony Valenzo

Tony Valenzo

Mar 6, 2021
    California
    And how loud is it?

6. Tony Valenzo

Tony Valenzo

Mar 6, 2021
    California
    And how loud is it?

7. rickwolff

Loud enough for anything I play my DB for. You can add an extension speaker and for anything bigger you'd have FOH speakers anyway.

armybass and Michael Eisenman like this.
  8. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick Gold Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    2nd for Acoustic Image. I have a Clarus AI. 650 loud, clear and natural, watts at 4ohms. I run it w Genzler 12-3SLT which is 350 watts at 8 ohms and more than I need. 2 channel w HPF. Great for microphones. BTW- if you want a natural sound playing unplugged is only way to go. If you need to amplify the most natural sound will be from a microphone.

Good luck.

9. rickwolff

+1

10. Tony Valenzo

Tony Valenzo

Mar 6, 2021
    California
    That I know my friend......but what about the amp combo? Which delivers the best natural sound it your opinión? Or with a mic all amp combos sound the same?

11. rickwolff

You've got a nice-looking rig, Jim, and I'm sure it's better suited to (loud) doubling or just BG gigs than mine is).

full?d=1526740809.jpg

JayLaughlin and Tony Valenzo like this.
  12. rickwolff

By the way, Tony, Welcome to Talkbass.

Keith Rawlings likes this.
  13. Tony Valenzo

Tony Valenzo

Mar 6, 2021
    California
    Thanks.

Keith Rawlings likes this.
  14. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick Gold Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    Thanks Rick. The last few years I have barely touched the slab. I guess I should update that pic with the new DB.... forgot it was out there.

Michael F Clef likes this.
  15. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I use a Clarus SL with an AI Doubleshot. It gets plenty loud for me, playing with a guitarist who always cranks it up, and with a western swing/bluegrass band that includes banjo. I also have a Clarus Series 4 that has phantom power and two channels for when that is needed. I technically have 4 AI cabs - the Doubleshot, the Upshot, the Coda, and the Ten2. Coda and Ten 2 sit unused since I got the newer stuff.

Keith Rawlings and Steve Boisen like this.
  16. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    AI Clarus SL + MAS 16 for quiet gigs, MAS 18 for louder gigs, 2 MAS 18’s for even louder gigs.

17. rknea

rknea Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Boise, ID
    Acoustic Image Ten2! Love mine! And you can't beat the lifetime warranty!!

logdrum likes this.
  18. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Tony,
    Let you're ears do the walking, listen to clips on YouTube, do your research and decide what your own ears like. You'll be glad you did. There are at present at least 6 setups

depending on what your budget is that will produce an excellent sound. Some examples are the Acoustic Image Double Shot ( folks are right here, the AI Warranty is essentially lifetime), the Euphonic Audio Doubler with their Wizzy 10 or 12 Cabinet,

the Grace Designs Felix with any number of powered speakers ( I use MAS 1/8's from Mike Arnopol) a TC Electronics BAM 200 and their 108 Cabinet. Quilter Bass heads. etc. etc. Just my

take, there is no "one brand fit's all"

Zbysek likes this.
  19. Tony Valenzo

Tony Valenzo

Mar 6, 2021
    California
    I'm looking for amp/speaker built together (not separatley unattached). What do you like?

20. I have an Euphonic Audio Doubler v1 and I can run my Ear Trumpet Labs Nadine in channel 2 and David Gage Lifeline into ch. 1...I'm not sure what you're getting at about how LOUD? Do you play punk, jazz, classical, bluegrass, Americana, Chuck Berry or what? The Nadine gets plenty loud without drums near, but if I'm in the room with my drummer I'll get more snare than URB in the mic when recording. If you want and need loud, get a magnetic pickup, like a Krivo. (Oops I missed your last post. EA rig is separate components...)

Ric Vice and Tony Valenzo like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021