Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which amp/combo should I get. Trace or ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tony h, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    Hi
    Looking into getting a new bass combo ore amp/spke set up. Ive always wanted a used trace elliot, should I get ampeg instead ? Ive heard these are really good. I want something that will last, not for gigging with right now
    Any advice would be great

thanks

2. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Personally I'd take Trace over Ampeg any day of the week. Which used model are you looking at?

3. Personally I'd have posted this in the amps forum

I'd take an ampeg over a trace any day :p

4. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    i'd take trace over ampeg anyday~
    :smug:
    but that's just me.

i'm sure both ampeg and trace will last. both are good quality, just depends on how you take care of it.
    what else are you looking for in a combo?
    specs, sound, etc.

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yes but your idea of that would be taking an Ampeg SVT-II over a Trace Boxer 65 :p.

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Don`t know what you`re exactly looking for, but in the 100W category, Ampeg wins IMHO.

I own an Ampeg B100-R since 1999 and never had a problem with it.

7. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    thanks
    might be able to get Trace Elliot GP7SM Combo Amp 18" Speaker 7 band eq at a good price. I messed with a BA 115 ampeg a bit, sounded good as well,

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    My personal advice would be a Trace AH1210 GP12 SMX. These go for about £300 used (~$500). A 2x10 combo with a 12 band eq and loads of cool stuff such as dual band compression. This is the preamp section of it in rack preamp form:

[​IMG]

I played one of those combos and it was excellent, very flexible and a very nice sound. Blew any Ampeg combo out of the water.

9. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    You'd probably get more answers in the amp forum...

But i'd say the Ampeg over the Trace..

10. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    thanks, will look for one of them

11. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I did alot of research on this.
    For my taste, Eden Metro, hands down, is badest little combo out there!
    Tons of power, Great eq, Hybrid tube pre or solid state pre in switchable channels, onboard compression, rediculous amount of low end that comes out of two tens. Great engineering!! Made in the USA!
    Add a second cabinet and your ready for any sound stage....not cheap.

12. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    the Eden combo looks really good, never tried one, anyone else have one?
    thanks

13. lol, surprised kelly lee hasn't showed up yet...

14. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    The Eden Nemesis look really good, lot of good feedback on them. I might lean towards one of these , thanks for any feedback on it

15. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA

have you tried the metro micro (I think it's called) ? it's about 450us. The other might be too big for me right now

thanks

16. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    I've had both Trace and Ampeg. I'm much happier with my Ampeg. The Trace was good too but I wanted more of a tube sound. But if you can afford the Metro, man what an amp that is! I hope you have roadies though :p

17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'm here! :D

I think comparing Ampeg and Trace Elliot is an apple/oranges kinda thing. Ampegs tend to have a warmer old school tone that is less defined. Trace tends to be more hi-fi or modern sounding yet it isn't harsh. Both brands were/are built well and have proven themselves at gigs for years. You really can't go wrong with either one. They are just two different animals. You'll just have to let your ears decide for you.

As to which one I would pick, do you really have to ask? :smug:

18. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I haven't tried the micro but it's worth looking at. I'm sure it shares some of the same design and components with the metro. Definately worth checking out.

FYI, I bought a couple of amps (Eden Metro and SWR Redhead) and tried them for a few days and returned the one that I didn't want. If you have them side by side, it makes it really easy to decide. Well worth the cost of shipping back to the merchant. Be careful to buy from a company that does not charge a restock fee. ZZounds is one that doen't charge restocking fee.

19. Being a Trace player for more than 20 years now, but only with the big stuff. I don't know if this fits the small ones you mention:
    If you want a crystal clear sound (listen to Living Color) then buy Trace.
    If you wanna put a warm carpet underneath: Buy an Ampeg.
    Technically they are both perfect and extremely reliable.