1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which amp do you like best and why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ejaggers, Apr 14, 2010.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I have a peavey max 700 2x15, and an Ibanez SW25. I want to sale the SW25 and get a combo, but cost is definitely a major factor (around $250). I’m in the Dallas Tx area if someone has a combo for pickup.

Craigslist has two amps:
    • 125W Genz Benz - $250
    • Ampeg BA -115 - $240
    • Which amp, if either do you like best?
    • What about the price?
    • How much should I list the SW25 for? There’s very little info on the web about these.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i'm a huge ampeg fan, and while i do like the ba115, i think it's good only for the price range. i'd probably get the gb. but try both if you can, and get the one you like.

3. Just IMHO the GenzBenz is three times the amp the BA115 is. No idea on the SW25.

4. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    ya might be able to pick up a GK 400 and an old Peavey cab on Craigslist for something in that range... just saying.

5. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Thanks Jimmym, b-string, and foz for responding.

Now there's a SWR LA15 for about $175. These amps are on craigslist and are spread out all over town. So I would love your opinion, before driving so far. One amp is actually in a different town.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i'd still go for the gb. personal opinion but i'm not a fan of the cheaper swr stuff.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

From these 3 the GB is a much better choice.

8. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    BTW, the GB is a model ML15T, which I can't find any info on. Can you tell me anything about it?

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I like "MY" amps because they sound good, they're paid for and I get to use them all the time because they're already here.:D

Honestly I can't put a single answer on this because I like a lot of versions of a lot of companies amps and a lot of the companies who have amps I like also have amps I think suck.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    are you sure it isn't an ml 200-115t? i couldn't find any info on an ml15t either, so that makes me think you left out the 200, in which case i'd say hop on it. i know a guy who has the ml 200-210t version of it and it really kicks. if it were me, it's the clear winner.

11. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I emailed the guy, and he said it was a ML15T and 135 watts. And that the 125W was a typo in his ad. It does look like the one in the link that Jazz Ad gave me.

Here it is:

Edited: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/1679383834.html

Sorry about that, It's getting late.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    you just linked us to his craigslist email address.

13. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I corrected the link

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    yep, that's it. ml 200-115t.

15. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Is this a good price? BTW the gut dropped the price on the BA115 to $200.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    the ba115 is suddenly looking more attractive to me. not sure what the gb should go for, but for $200 i might get the ba115.

17. i don't really know much about any of the amps, but know that my friend has a cheaper SWR, which i love personally.

but i also know that the Ampeg ba115 has like a style selecty switchy thing, which to me, would seem to make the amp more versatile.

AND i ALSO know, that while i love my GK backline 600, there's a good number of people that probably hate it, so even though i hate to say this, because back when i was looking for an amp i always got bummed when people would say this exact thing, go and play the amps, and get whichever sounds best to your own ears, because not everyone has the same opinions on what sounds good, and what doesn't

but again, i'd probably pick the ampeg, even though i've heard that their SS stuff isn't very good, i personally think a name says alot.

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

135 W with the built-in speaker, 200 W with an extension.

19. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I tried really hard to like the BA115, and while it's far from awful it just never did it for me. I had real problems finding any sound I liked with the style switch. I can't even recall now what I didn't like about the sound but multiple sessions at different music stores firmly cemented in my mind it wasn't for me.

I don't have a Genz Benz but I've tried some out and REALLY liked them (to the point I'm already thinking of a Shuttle 6 or 9 as my 'next amp).

So like everyone else says, play as much as you can and decide what you like, but if it were me I'd go with the G-B.