1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which amp for a Zon Sonus Custom bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trev, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    I'm currently looking to buy an amp to use (primarily) with my Zon Sonus Custom 4 but there are so many choices. Since I've never owned an amp - I've always recorded direct, mainly through a SansAmp BDDI - and the fact that I won't be able to try before I buy, I was hoping someone could recommend one based on this info:

- The music I play could be described as being "alternative / progressive / metal-esque".

- I play with a pick, I like a fast response and that "click" - you get when the pick hits a string.

- I like clarity across the whole EQ spectrum, but nothing really bright and there has to be warmth. I also go for mids quite a bit, with a lot of "punch". I don't know if this is possible, but it would be great if the amp has a "in-between modern and vintage" sound.

- Justin Chancellor's (Tool) tone is quite close to what I'm trying to achieve. In particular his tone has an almost guitar-like quality to it whilst retaining the low end. That's generally what I'm after most of all. I understand his Wal + effects play significant roles but I don't mean his exact tone. Billy Gould's (ex-Faith No More) tone from Angel Dust onwards is another example as well.

- I'd prefer a head+cab setup, but combos are not entirely out of the question. I don't need a lot of power, but nothing in the range of practice amps and such.

- I played a friend's Mesa M2000 for some time and liked it, though I found myself wanting a little more warmth from it.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

2. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Thanks for the reply. I haven't picked a cab out mainly cos I haven't had much experience with them actually, though from what I do know I think I would probably go for a 4x10, but thats about all I know so far.

Say I look at a rig thats on the warm/vintage side, what would you recommend? Something like Ampeg maybe?

3. Go and try as many amps as you can, it's always better.

4. How about a pic of that Zon Customer 4? :hyper:

5. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    My Zon Sonus custom sounds most excellent thru my Eden rig. Actually, it sounds good thru every rig I've ever plugged it into. But the Eden sounds best. I can dial in a rock n roll tone, a modern hi-fi ish tone and everything in between. The mids that Eden cabs put out are sweet. Actually, I recommend the rig I have.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

6. That's an awesome looking cab!