Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which amp for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sir Psycho, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Gallien Krüger GT400 - 240W

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Peavey Nitrobass - 300W

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. SWR Workingmans 2004 - 200W

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Hartke 3500 - 350W

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. Sir Psycho

Sir Psycho

Mar 20, 2001
    I´m in the market for new amp, and these are the choises. Tell me if you have a better suggestion for about $550...

Those amps in the poll are all in the same price range.

2. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    i can unequivocably recommend the hartke....

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Boost it up $50, and buy my Peavey Firebass II 700, with my 410TXF cabinet. :)

4. I own a Hartke 3500, and am extremely happy with its performance. I am using it with a peavey 410 cabinet, it is loud, and hits nice and low. It has two outputs, I'm only using one so this amp could push a 2x15 cabinet along with my 410, but this would be overkill.

Anyway, you said $550 ? The Hartke 3500 is available from www.brookmays.com for $410.52 WITH free shipping. I printed this off and took it to a local music store that matches and beats prices, they gave it to me for $400. So you can save yourself $150.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The Hartke 3500 + Peavey 410TXF cab's a good combo, I used that exact amp for a few years, before I got my Firebass, which I've taken quite a liking to, except I want to get a BAM 210 (I found it to be more compact, and to have a better tone)

6. The Peavey 410 is a bit heavy. I built a little cart for it that has casters (I didn't just want to screw them to the cabinet), without this it is damn near impossible to move by yourself. Lifting it onto a stage sucks. Three people for this. But I think its sound outweighs this, it doesn't bother me too much.

7. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i voted for hartke or swr.

swr is great tone, but i was majorly impressed with the hartke.

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    voted SWR, yet I do like the tone on the Hartke, in a strange sort of way. I would use it for low volume applications, but my Eden is so far superior in the volume department.:D

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    It will be here within a few days.:D :D :D

10. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i recommend a hartke 4000 (can be had for 499) or a gallien krueger 400rb.

the fender bassman head would also be an option for you.

if you decide on the swr workingman's, consider spending a little more and going for the 4004 - more power is always good. (i'd have voted wm 4004 if it were one of the choices)

11. Ampeg B2r can be had for about $400 at Chuck Levins Washington Music Center. IMHO it tops all the others in this price range.

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I wholeheartedly agree with CrawlingEye's suggestion of that Peavey Firebass heAd. It will Make you want to Play a whole lot morE, since you have such Great tone. Your tone is an inspiring and encouraging thing ;)

13. Thumper69

Thumper69

Jan 9, 2002
    I just picked up a used Hartke 3500 w/ case and it doesn't disappoint. I'm running it through an old GK 410 cab with new Eminence speakers and it sounds beautiful. All for $400!

Hey, don't take my word for it...

http://www2.marsmusic.com/community/askpros/stuhamm/

from the "Bass Guitar Advice from Stu Hamm" column:

Q. I'm currently building a bass rig for playing small to medium clubs, and I'm a little twisted as to which speaker combo to go with. I like a deep bass sound with a little bright edge to it, I play with fingers mostly. I like the sound of the Ampeg classic 4-10,
    and the 1-15 together. It sounds good in the music shop, but will the 4-10 put out at the gig. By the way, they will be driven by a Hartke 3500. Also how do you feel about using an Alesis Midi verb4 with this combo?

A. The Hartke 3500 will certainly be enough to make the rig sound good, it's a great amp. In fact, it's what I use. I use only 4x10s and am never at a loss for low end. I tried 15's on one tour, but for me they were just tooooooo much. The low end boost on your Hartke will really give you what you need. The Midiverb is a good one, but I guess I'm wondering what kind of stuff that you'll be playing to necessitate it. If you are just laying down the groove, I think there is no truer tone than a chord from your bass to the amp. Anything else you put through the signal chain will alter and weaken your tone. Anyway, a 3500 and a 4x10 and a 15 is all you'll need to play the size clubs you mentioned, heck, that's enough juice to play anywhere!

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I voted for peavey nitro bass. but I say you get a few more bucks, get the firebass 700 with a 410 cab :). this thing rocks. you can always but a 15 or another 210 cab under it and get huge sound :)