Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Amp for Mini-Bergie HT/EX 112 stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GRoberts, Mar 29, 2005.

1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I am trying to decide which amp to pair with my new-to-me Bergie HT/EX 112 stack? Can't quite handle the expense of a Walter Woods Ultra, or it would be on my short list for sure. I've done a search and read several comments but would love fresh input from my TB brethren. (I don't know how to create a poll, or I would list the amps shown below. If someone can help with a poll, I'm open. Thanks -

Amps open for consideration:

1.Thunderfunk 420 or 550
    2. Aguilar AG500
    3. Mesa Walkabout
    4. Eden 550
    5. GK 1001RB II
    6. EA iAMP800
    7. AI Focus

I am most interested in the first three on my list with my interest being in the order shown. I am open to suggestion. I will be playing my 5 string F Bass BN5's (and a Lakland DJ5), doing Jazz standards, Blues, slap and fingerstyle Funk and adult contemporary. Not much rock and nothing distorted per se. I lean toward a cross between classic Vintage Fender-type tone meets Modern Hi-Fi high-end. I am not going for the Deep Round boom tones tha lack focus and definition. I am into clarity with balls, meaty, punchy focused, yet full, rich lows, and mids (ala Jaco) for definition. (I know, I know, ... I want it all)

Thanks for sharing your comments. Especially between Thunderfunk, Aguilar AG500 and the Mesa Or Eden heads. Again, I don't think I can justify or come up with the cost of a WWU. Thanks! - Gary

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I would add Markbass to your list if you can find them. They're a boutique amp company turning out some nice gear.

3. Mark Moss

Mark Moss

Feb 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    I personally gave up on the bass amps out there. I have gone to using separates, an Avalon U5 with a Crest power amp. I am in total control with this rig and love the sound through the mini stack, or two stacks if need be. Of course luggin around a heavy power amp is a pain sometimes, but to me it is worth it.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ditto,

i'm a sucker for all Aggie gear, but dagnabbit! the 800 is the ONLY head i'd gladly take over the others you mention.

the Focus is another fav, for sheer lightweight portability.

but the 800's ability to dial in/out, up/down, whatever you feel like is pretty unreal.

and besides, i LOVE ea on bergie tone. the clean fast feel of the ea coupled with the sweet tubey like midrange of the berg's make for an intensely heady mix.

5. I sent you a PM - read it before you do anything!!!

Peace,

T

6. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    tommix...since i am in the same state of search i also would appreciate the pm you sent before i make a move. Appreciate any advice from those with experience.

thanx

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    My only experience is with the Eden. With these cabs it does produce the vintage/hifi cross sound you're describing. It's a fine comination; warm and punchy. I hardly turn the knobs- with my Fender Deluxes and the Rumblefish the sound just doesn't need much tweaking. The Eden is really easy to transport, especially with their carrying case. To clear the handle on the top cab just replace the amp's rubber feet with taller vinyl doorknob stoppers from Home Depot or similar. Of course, the other amps you're considering are all worthy as well. Good luck!

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, there is something magical about the HT112/EX112/WWU combination, but those heads sure aren't cheap. My second favorite with the Bergs, though, is the iAMP 800. It's somewhat different from the WWU, but as far as an overall preference goes, it's right up there with my Woods.

Of the remainding options, I did get an opportunity to play the AG500 through a bunch of cabs at Bass Emporium (including the HT112), and it really impressed me, so I think that it would do a great job as well. The only AI amp I have heard is the Clarus SL, but presuming that the Focus has a similar tone with more headroom, I can't see how you could go wrong with a Focus, either.

Hope this helps, Tom.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I forgot to also suggest the Thunderfunk. I have had an opportunity to try one out rather extensively, and it is another excellent choice.

Here are some threads that may help (the Walkabout thread also includes my thoughts on the HT/EX stack driven by WWU, Thunderfunk, Walkabout, and iAMP):

Thunderfunk vs Walter Woods Ultra

Mesa Walkabout vs Thunderfunk

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've found that the baby Berg's sound absolutely stunning with a buncha power. They just bloom and so tasty.

My fav is of course the WW Ultra or the Demeter/PLX1602 bridged.

11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I also use an Avalon U5 with a QSC PLX 1202 and a Bergantino HT112.

12. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    By far the best head I used with the berg 112s was a EBS TD650. I used that rig for about a year and it was killer! Fits your description of tone nice and stacks perfect on top. I had it in a three space grundorf shallow rack.

Out of the heads you mentioned, I would go with the Iamp 800 with the berg 112s.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If I couldn't have the WWU (fortunately, I can! ;) ), I'd choose the iamp800 with that Bergie mini-stack.

14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

+1. I've found out using my Demeter and a high power amp works best. I love aguilar gear, but it doesn't get the best sound with the bergs. The bergs really like alot of clean power.

My recommendation would be a power amp with a pre such as demeter or avalon. Ideally, around 800+ watts

15. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I shouldn't ask this ...But ...Just in case, where or how Can I find Walter Woods and pricing? ..and doesanyone know of a used WWU?

Thanks to everyone for your comments. My short list based on the valuable feedback I have gotten looks like:

Thunderfunk
    EA iAMP800
    (and of course the almost, if not, out-of-reach WWU)

Sort of getting over the Mesa thing and surprisingly, no one is 'raving' about the AG500 even thought I'm sure they are very nice amps.

I cant justfy spoiling the magic of a mini-rig with a heavy pre/power rack. I'm sure they sound great, but that sort of defeats the purpose for this mini-rig of joy. Keep the comments coming. Thanks! Gary

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    WWU's don't come up used much. PM sent.

17. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    I vote for the iAMP, as that's what I have. It's a clear sounding amp that lets the Bergs do their thing. Plus, EA has great customer service if you ever need anything.

For the price of one WWU you could get both the Thunderfunk and the iAMP800.

18. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Interesting point. Things that make you go hmmm. Which is why I wasn't really wanting to spend the coin for the WWU.

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    For me, my Demeter/QSCPLX sounds best with the Bergies, because they do bloom with power. I also have used a Thunderfunk with my pair, and they sounded great also :cool: