Which amp head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kmaultsby, Sep 25, 2005.

1. kmaultsby

Dec 31, 2004
    I need a Amp Head for my 4x10 ampeg classic cabinet I will be playing all types of music and I may add 1x15 in the future. It is for play at home mostly and sometime with a small band. These our heads I am looking at.
    SWR Working PRO
    Ampeg B2RE
    Gallien Kruegar 700 RB-II
    Hartke 5500

Any suggestions. :cool:
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The only one of those I'd ever consider is the GK. That said, there are other options for you which would sound much better than anything you listed:
    Kustom Groovebass and Yorkville 800 at about $500 new, or if you want a nice tubey sound the Traynor YBA-200 at $600 new.
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The B2RE isnt really worth the low dose of power you get. You could get the GK used at a fantastic price.

But dont overlook the Kustom Groovebass. $500 is simply an awesome deal. Get a better idea of the tone your looking for... it will help pinpoint your decision.
  4. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

I dunno where you can find a yorkville 800 for 500$

But I do second the GK.
  5. kmaultsby

Dec 31, 2004
    I went to Kustom Groovebass web site and this is a new amp which I never hear of. Yes it has a lot power but how dose it sound the build and the quality they only make one Amp head at one low price what's the catch? :eyebrow:
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It sounds OK, I personally don't like it but many do. Just keep in mind that 1200 watts ofer 800 or so watts doesn't yield that much more volume...
  7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I had one (Kustom Groove Bass) and thought it was the best head out there for $500 new (and I tried many of them). I now have a Aguilar, which I do like better, but costs twice as much, is half the weight and less than half the wattage...
  8. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    All of the amps you've listed are pretty nice amps.
    As has been suggested, i'd look at the Kustom GrooveBass as well. The GK's a very nice unit.
    My buddy gigs at least once a week with his Hartke 5500 with great results. Sounds great through his Hartke 810 cab. Try as many as you can and decide for yourself.