1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which amp? Help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whitey1980, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Whitey1980

Whitey1980

Feb 27, 2009
    I need to get a new amp and am having much trouble trying to decide what to go for. Primarily a guitar player I've landed myself a place as a bass player in a band which is cool cos I've been playing bass for aslong as I've been on guitar but never owned a serious bass amp.

I've already opened a thread a few weeks ago as I was debating whether to go for an Ashdown MAG 300H or 600H but I've since been considering the Ampeg 2B-RE and now I'm checking out the Hartke range. I'm just getting confused cos I just read a thread saying how the old Harke 3500 (blackface) was louder than the Ampeg 2B-RE. My budgit is £800 - £1000 but I don't want to buy an Ampeg 2B-RE if theres better out there for cheaper.

I want to avoid lugging two cabs around so need to get a head that will allow me plenty of head room on a 410 cab. Also need a good funk sound. Because this is probably the only bass rig I'll ever buy I want to make the right choice and not regret it.

What other amps should I be checking out?:ninja:

2. I'd take a good look at the Carvin.com website. It's where I go first.

Paul

3. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Whitey,
    If their available in your area.
    I'd start the search with G.K.
    I'd suggest looking at a G.K. 700, 800, or 1001 heads.
    Tone, power, reasonable price, and these three are some of the more dependable heads on the market.

4. Good point, I forgot to look for his location, not that it would have helped! Why don't people fill out their profiles? There really is nothing personal in the profile!

Paul

5. Whitey1980

Whitey1980

Feb 27, 2009
    Had a look at Carvin. I fancied the BX500 but no suppliers in the uk. Not local ones anyway. Had a brief look at GK but there's so many models to choose from. I'll check out the models 'shoot' is recommending though. As far as opportunities to try out go my options are Marshall, Fender, Ampeg and Warwick in local stores. I must admit I'm quite liking the look of the Warwick Profet 5.2.

6. olistorck

olistorck

Sep 16, 2007
    oviedo,spain
    Hiwatt... buy british !!

7. Whitey1980

Whitey1980

Feb 27, 2009
    Never considered Hiwatt. Have you got one?

8. olistorck

olistorck

Sep 16, 2007
    oviedo,spain
    Had one... sadly sold it. Will kill any ampeg if you play rock..... I know I won´t be making friends here. Just like the british sound better, than the ampeg sound.

9. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    There's always mesa. the walkabout is 300 w and is detachable from it's cab, and the m-pulse is 600 w. the heads are light, have a lot of headroom but you can choose to overdrive the mosfets (tube driven pre-amp) if you want.

10. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Hiwatt DR103 or DR-201 if you can find one.

Best investment you can make too.

11. olistorck

olistorck

Sep 16, 2007
    oviedo,spain
    +1... or a german Mywatt 400... blow the roof off..

12. Whitey1980

Whitey1980

Feb 27, 2009
    Way out of my budgit. Looks nice though but they look the size of a Marshall guitar head. I assume the smallest 4 speaker cab you can get is a 4 x 12?

13. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ

With a budget of 1000#, I would get a barefaced big one and a Hartke LH500. http://barefacedbass.com/thebigone.html

15. I'm going to agree w/shoot-r and say to check out the GK if you can. I love the RB series... either a 700 or 1001RB II and a 4x10 RBH. Around here you can get that used for under $1000... I dont know the exchange rate