Which amp is stronger?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snfjtu, Oct 3, 2000.

1. snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    I'm looking at amps in around the 400 dollar mark; something I can practice, jam with drums and guitar, and do small gigs with... I've narrowed it down to either an Ampeg BA-115 or a Hartke Kickback 15. They both sound great, but I'm leaning more toward the Kickback just because it appears more durable with the aluminum cones and all, but I don't know this for sure; so my question is this; has anyone owned the same model of Ampeg or Hartke for awhile that can testify as to their integrity?

2. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    hartkes blow... get tha ampeg.. hartke aluminum speakers are terrible.. and if its cold in the room.. you cant play very loud
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I disagree. I own a Hartke Kickback and I love its sound. Also, I find it very useful in the settings you described. I'd go out and play through one so you can make up your mind for yourself.

Will C.:cool:
  4. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I have the BA-115.Great amp!Personally i think it sounds much better than the Hartke but thats just my opinion.One things for sure though.The Ampeg is the better made of the two.Plus you get a 5 year transferable warrenty with it.No other company has a better/longer warrenty than Ampeg that im aware of.Good luck!
  5. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    dont let hartkes different l;ooking speaker make u think theyre better
  6. Getting a BA-115 is the smartest thing I've done yet basswise.
  7. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    YES STEAMBOAT.. your the MAN or WOMAN if your chick.. ampegs are killer... but cant afford an svt... otherwise id have 4 of em
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with BW - it's really entirely subjective - I prefer the sound of the Hartke and know loads of Jazz players locally who have used them for several years with no problems. My feeling is jazz/funk players will prefer the Hartke and old-school rockers will prefer the Ampeg, but this is probably an over-simplification.

But the best advice is to go to a store and listen to them side by side with the type of bass you're going to use and decide which sounds better to you. They are certainly very different!
  9. snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    Well, since posting my original question, I found the sound of the Hartke more to my liking. It seems to handle the whole spectrum better. With Ampeg you get a killer low end, but it seems to lose something with the higher end. Hartke simply offers the best of both worlds. So, I guess like you are saying, Bruce, old school rockers want mainly a huge low end, since they don't usually make any ventures past the 12th fret, and jazz folk want a good all around sound. I play rock, but I like using the middle and higher end, kind of like Geddy Lee does, and some of the tapping and chords that John Myung uses in Dream Theater.

Another thing I looked at since I asked the original question were the bassists who used the particular brands. I noticed Billy Sheehan and Jason Newstead of Metallica play through Ampeg. On the other hand, Stu Hamm, Jaco Pastorius, and the bassist from Aerosmith play Hartke. Listening to stuff by each of these guys (as I have no band to play with) I was able to decide that I prefer the sound of Hartke in a band situation as well as solo.

I have a solution to the cold weather issue for the aluminum speaker too, if the need should ever arise. Get a space heater.

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Jaco played through Acoustic amps, not Hartke amps.
  11. snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    Well, somebody needs to tell the guys at Hartke to take the picture of Jaco off their website, unless of course he used some other product of Samson/Hartke.
  12. snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    This caption is on their site as well:

"Hartke has been redefining the sound of bass guitar since the early 1980s. Our revolutionary aluminum-cone bass drivers and breakthrough cabinet designs were the first to combine an open-ended, articulate response with a fast attack and punchy bottom end. Our bass systems, coupled with dramatic breakthroughs in musicality and instrumental technique by the first high-profile Hartke artist, the late, great Jaco Pastorius, and other distinctive talents such as Stu Hamm, Will Lee and Tom Hamilton, continue to bring a new standard of clarity and accurate tonal reproduction to the bass."

13. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    IMHO endorsement is one thing and what you hear on recordings is another - NEVER trust marketing departments.
    Even if two artists use the same amp, they may still sound rather different, depending on the basses and effects they use and how they record their sound (mic and/or direct,..)
    A good amp has the least influence in the whole signal chain. On the other hand, many amps have a sort of basic sound you will never get rid of, so you really have to like that.

My 2cents,
  14. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Whichever one you think sounds better and suits your needs.

Personally, I'd go Ampeg, but that's me.