Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which amp models are crapola?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, Feb 18, 2005.

1. I'm gonna be hanging around Guitar Center and another music store tomorrow checking out amps. Problem is this ... I'm brand new to this and don't really know how to tell good amps from bad amps at this point.

I'll probably go combo to get started. Are there certain GK, Hartke, Peavey, "__________ fill in the blank _______" models that I should avoid? I just want a solid versatile amp with good tone and decent power (in case I want to do a small gig with it).

Thanks for your advice

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    rather than answer that right away, i woudl suggest that you go look around and see what you like that's within you budget (and even some stuff that's just slightly out of your budget). But don't buy anything yet. Write down exactly what you like (brand, model #) and whatever info you can find out about them (wattage, # and diameter of speakers). then come back here and post that information and see what people have to say. I would pay more attention to comments re: reliability and ability to cut it at a gig, and less to ones like "oh that amp sounds like crap". No one can tell you what sound you like.

3. +1 :)

4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    IvanMike is dead right about his suggestions. Go to a music store that has a good selection. Know how much you want to spend. Listen to some amps in that price range, one or two just a little more expensive, and one or two just a little less than your budget. Be sure to audition one or two brands you don't even think you have any interest in. People are often surprised when they actually use their own ears as opposed to depending on the prejudices of others, who may like a totally different sound from what you like.

Oh, and take your own bass.

5. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Never buy an amp or a bass because of its brand name, and never avoid buying an amp or a bass because of its brand name.

I have heard great music coming out of cheap equipment, and I have heard "crapola" coming out of very expensive equipment. The brand will neither make you nor break you.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    At GC, stay away from Crate and Behringer. Brands to consider would be SWR, Mesa, Fender, and yes, even Ampeg. At other stores, you'll be OK with Peavey, Hartke, Yorkville, Genz-Benz, GK, Ashdown and EA.

If you have lots of dough, at other stores, these amps have the potential to rule: Eden, Aguilar, EBS, and Glockenklang.

Keep in mind that most of these manufacturers have several lines, some of which sound better than others. The other guys are right, you need to audition them to assess how they meet your sonic requirements. At all costs, avoid Behringer and Rogue everywhere.

I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in with their favorites, and some may tell you that Behringer is OK. They are wrong.

7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    One man's crapola is another man's dream come true. A piece of gear or a certain brand may work well for some and they develop a loyalty to it that may not be rational. Also, some are very sensitive about hearing a critical opinion about gear that they own, especially if they spent a lot of money on it. For example, spending $900 on an amp that makes 100 watts. It may work out for a few, but the results for most will be disappointing. Pointing out the shortcomings of their gear will get them all defensive and snotty. Some people are also sensitive about the size of their rig. If you read the Combo Amp Megathread you know what I'm talking about. The best thing to do is spend a few days reading the forum. You will get a good idea of what works and what is crapola. ;)

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

He's right. The Behringer practice amp in my basement has worked perfectly for 2.5 years. My experience is wrong. Get that? It's wrong.

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Dude, you're the best - :D

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Anecdote or statistics, you choose.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
  12. the beginner

the beginner

Feb 18, 2005
    See, this is exactly what ivanmike and timidbassit were talking about, i may be a beginner in bass but I’ve been a psychology student for quite some time, and if there’s something true in this world it's that things are relative, there is no "good" or "bad" sound, try em for yourself and decide, maybe you'll hate behringer and crate as much as munji-whatever does, but maybe not. I sure liked mine!! And maybe munji-whatever has the cash to get the "good" (note the quote marks are for sarcasm) (note the emphasis on the sarcasm) stuff but some of us happen to be students and are on a budget. Anyways check em out for yourself or read reviews (which by the way behringer has done quite well). Well friend as a fellow beginner, I can say try it out for your self.

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Behringer can sound okay, but the problem that I've seen people having with them is their reliability.... them and Nady (who doesnt make bass equipment). I've used PA gear from both brands, and I have to say, sometimes I wonder if they make their products out of toy-store materials. :rollno:

As for a new bass amp, you really need to take a look at your budget, and where your future might lead you. If your right at the beginning, then you should feel really safe aiming for a Peavey combo. They arent anything spectacular, but they're a great balance of tone, quality, and price. And if you find yourself in a band in 2 years, you could probably use the Peavey during band practice as well, which would leave you a good time-frame to save up for an amp that you can gig with. :)

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    this where i chime in and say "don't forget to look atthe used market" and, as another member reminded me (who i cant remember much to my embarrasment), seek the advice/help of someone who knows what to look for when you find a used item. the great thing about all the new gear coming out is that last year's fancy amps are being sold used, sometimes at prices below "cheap" amps. Used eden heads and cabs (just to name one brand) routinely go for half of what they cost new, (and they still sound darned good)

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

True that! [​IMG]

this where i chime in and say "don't forget to look at the used market"

+1000, you must not be one of them...

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, you win. Behringer will be the best amp for you. No prob.

17. HeHeHHeHehe...........:)....Man, you guy's crack me up..:)

18. Oh ya.....that means you "Munji-whatever"....:)

19. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    One thing I've noticed - and I had a 400+ for years, and loved it - is that at GC it's best to be VERY certain EVERY feature of a Boogie amp works, this is true of guitar and bass amps. The last time I wanted to try a cabinet, I wanted to hear it with a 400+ because I had one at home. Plugged it in, no sound. Fiddled with it for a while, nothing. Tried it with a Mpulse, and the sound was sporadic. It was pretty cool with the Behringer though. I've seen a stack of 4 combos and none of them worked. Seen a 400+ with the graphic board loose and wobbly. No, I'm not saying the Behringer's better, but Boogies at GC often have problems.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Behringer doesnt sound good to anyone ever.

Its the crying sound of 1,000,000,000 child laborers, R&D teams, innovators, and a very hungry Bob Lee.

;)

Seriously though, I refuse to recomend them or sell any of their products at work.