1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Amp should I get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bordinco90, Jul 7, 2014.

1. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Hello everyone. I have a budget of $500. I have narrowed it down to the Fender Rumble V3 500w 2x10 Bass Combo Amp or the Peavey Tour TKO 115 400w Combo Amp. I just want a bass amp with the most power and volume for the money. I am tired of getting drowned out by the drummer and guitarist. I just wanted to know how are these bass amps? How loud they are? Or maybe you guys have any other suggestions? Thanks!

2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I love those new Fender Rumble amps.

However - running with the internal speakers only you may be disappointed with 350 watts of solid state power through 2 ten inch speakers. If you can run it with an extension cab and get the full 500 watts and a full 4x10 then I think you may be happier.

The Peavey I have no experience with.

If I were you I would try to find a Genz Benz shuttle system used or on clearance now that Fender is shutting them down. That way you can expand with the system rather than be tied into a combo.

Linnin likes this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The Fender Rumble 500 Combo is quite simply unbeatable at $500 brand new & shipped. Fabulous Fender Tone; World Class Quality, and Renouned Reliability. Lightweight & LOUD!

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    If I had to pick from those two, I would choose the Fender all week and twice on Sun. If you are looking for more power that, to me, would be the obvious choice. On top of it being a Fender, hard to go wrong there.

IF you can, save up a few hundred more bucks. You can probably find an amp n cab that would give you even more power and presence in the mix. Have you looked into the Gallien Krueger combos by chance? Those wont have any issues sitting prominent in the mix, plenty of power and you can add cabs to the combo later down the road when you save the money. I think you can do that with the new Rumble series though too (not sure about that). But I know how it is to be in your shoes, being drowned out in a band and not having that much money to work with, its tough. But if you can, save a little more. If not, again, I would go with the Fender.

5. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Well I know for $100 more, I can get a Peavey TNT 1x15 600 watt bass combo amp. Also for around $550-$600 I can get a used Trace Elliot 715x bass combo amp, a GK MB212 Combo Amp, or a TC Electronic BG500 (2x12 combo $340 used). Are those any good? All are 500watts, but IDK which one has the best "true wattage" . Thanks for the input everyone!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    To me, myself and I, the GK all the way. It sounds louder than 500 watts. Plus you can def add cabs to it. Di out, EQ. You're set.

7. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Watts alone wouldn't be my suggestion for choice. A little less power through 2x12 will get you more perceived volume. If the GK is within reach, it would be my recommendation.

8. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Ok so if the GK is within reach I will get it, but what about the TC electronics BH500? They have one for $350. It too has 500 watts. I have also heard good review on it as well. Has anyone played it?

9. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I'd suggest a GK MB212 combo, also. I've played with that, an Ampeg BA115 combo, a Peavey TNT115 combo, and a SWR Redhead 210 combo in a live band setting. The GK was the only combo to really satisfy me in a live cover band setting.

10. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Well the GKMB212 is 1st on my list, then the TC Electronic BH500.

11. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Well I ended up ordering the Fender. Can't wait for it to come in.

Munjibunga and Linnin like this.
  12. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Let us know what you think once you get to try it out!

13. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    :woot: WOOT! :woot:

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Guaranteeing not getting drowned out by the other players usually doesn't mean combo amp.

Does the Fender have the capability to chain another speaker cabinet to it? If so, get another cab. If not, we'll see you again in a few months wondering why your speakers are blown.

Yes, you need power to make speakers move, but beyond a couple hundred watts per speaker, more speakers makes you louder than more power does.

15. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    The Fender does have the ability to chain another speaker cab to it. I do plan on getting another cab soon. I probably will get another fender cab that matches. They have a 1x15 or a 4x10 option.

Linnin likes this.
  16. There's one new Genz Benz contour 500 1x15 combo left on eBay for $399... Bargain !

Edit: sorry, just saw you ordered the Fender, awesome... Enjoy !

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  17. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Well everybody its in check it out! IMG_0205.JPG Also check out my bass too tell me what you guys think (Squier VM Jazz with new VM 77' neck and 77' knobs!

18. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Also, the amp sounds amazing! Very clear and loud. Can't wait to play with a drummer, but I gotta feeling its going to cut through nicely.

19. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    IMG_0203.JPG

20. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0204.JPG

Linnin likes this.