Which Amp Should I get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon Herring, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Jon Herring

Jon Herring

Aug 7, 2018
    i currently have an Ampeg BA108 v2 and am looking to upgrade to the next size up for practice purposes. My budget limit is about $300 and am looking at the Ampeg BA112 75 watt, the Orange Crush 50 (50 Watt) or the Fender Rumble 100 (100 watt). They are all in hat same price range with 12 inch speakers and am curious if anyone has any experience with any of these?

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    Rumble is probably lighter. Ampeg :thumbsup:

EatS1stBassist and Aqualung60 like this.
  3. Jon Herring

Jon Herring

Aug 7, 2018
    Any negatives about the Orange? I for sure like the Ampeg amps but where is just something cool about those Orange Amps. I’ll be playing all them next week to see how they sound but thought I’d get some advice for people that have owned them to praise or bash one or the other ;)

4. Jon Herring

Jon Herring

Aug 7, 2018
    One thing I’ve noticed is the Ampeg and Orange amps don’t have xLR output but that Fender was.

Was really wondering about wattage difference since they all go up 50, 75 and 100 but are all the same price.

5. Better to skip to a used big boy toy that can actually hang with a band.

mbelue, ELG60, OnederTone and 15 others like this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Moving from a practice amp to another practice amp is a bit pointless. Rock what you've got til you can buy a performing rig.

mbelue, OnederTone, MrLenny1 and 11 others like this.
  7. Jon Herring

Jon Herring

Aug 7, 2018
    That’s true... I have store credit I need to use so I’m limited to whatever used they may have or get the one I want in the smaller amp.

8. Jon Herring

Jon Herring

Aug 7, 2018
    The problem with getting a gigging amp is that I don’t really gig currently. I play at church and when doing that I plug straight into board through Sans Amp and having a Massive Amp at home is a bit overkill.

The current practice amp I have is nice but it’s hard to get the deep sound I’d like to hear so that’s the main reason I want a slight upgrade versus going big.

EatS1stBassist and Al Kraft like this.
  9. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    can you try them?.....I found the Orange small combos a bit thin and boxy sounding...where do you live?....the Traynor SB112 is 12" 200w, 25lbs, and sounds great

Paulabass, Al Kraft and Frank77 like this.
  10. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Yeah, I have to side with the others on getting something that'll hang with the band. Doesn't have to be a beast. You really dont need some crazy colossus to keep up with a drummer. Maybe a 210, or a solid 15 instead. Something 100w or more should be great. I'm very partial to 212s, but they're pretty heavey, and about as loud as 410s. Almost. So, if you dont need something like that, 210s or a solid 15 should do you good. You say you're going to go play around on your options, so why not play on more options? Know what I mean?

11. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    For your situation, I would try and find a used amp and a speaker cab. I like having something I can really hear the bass out of.

12. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Unless the store credit expires, given that you're already covered for your church work, I'd stick with the little Ampeg, save up a bit, and go for something that gets you out of the practice amp class altogether. If you really just want a nicer practice experience, the credit has a limited shelf-life, and the choices where you have the store credit are limited to what you shared, I'd advise to let your ears be your guide and go for it. IMO they are each fine options and you can't make a huge mistake here. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  13. justbass57

justbass57 Supporting Member

I just finished reading about someone here buying a Ampeg PF 50T in Florida for $325, I would make the financial leap and get a cab with it.

inthevelvet likes this.
  14. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

I had an Ampeg combo before it was the ba series 100 watter, I’ve have a fender rumble 500 and 2 115s which I still have. I’ve pkayed the smaller versions in stores and they have the same tone, especially the 200 as it has all the features just smaller power amp. For the money you’d be hard pressed to get better sound than a rumble. They just crush the competition, at least I think so.

15. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Based on what I've read on TB, the Fender Rumble series of combos seem to enjoy a loyal following for good reason. While I currently own no Fender products I can say that I never had anything with the Fender name on it let me down over the years. Likewise I always had good luck with the Ampeg products I've owned.

16. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    50 and 75 watt bass combo amps are useless in my opinion. They are too loud for at home practice but not loud enough to play in a band. A 100 watt combo isn't going to be that much different.

17. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Too loud then use the volume knob to make it less loud. The more power you have the more low end you can usually get out of it . And if you do end up in a band you stand a better chance of keeping up without buying more gear.

18. Jon Herring

Jon Herring

Aug 7, 2018
    Appreciate all the advice ;)

My dad has a Fender 200 Watt rumble with 15 inch speaker and he said it’s way too loud around the house.

The thing I like about the fender 100 (at least on paper) is that it has the xLR out so if I wanted to use it somewhere with sound board just plug it in there.

Orange makes the 100 watt version 15 inch speaker of the crush series but it’s $500 (my range is $300 right now). So I just don’t understand how Fender gets away with selling their 100 watt 12 inch speaker for $300.

19. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have a 300 watt Fender Super Bassman that I run through 2 GK Neo 212II cabs and A Peavey MiniMega 1000 watts that I run through 2 Peavey PVH 212 cabs and They can be extremely loud for home Practice but turn them down and they sound great and are not overly loud. My point is Get as much power as you can afford now then when you need it you won't have to go out and buy something right away to get where you need to be. Most bands have PA Mixing boards but that does not mean they have subs or that you can play through the PA all the time.

20. Jon Herring

Jon Herring

Aug 7, 2018
    The other issue I would have with going big... would be space. Considering I don’t exactly need a gigging amp, it wouldn’t be nice to take up a bunch of space somewhere in my house

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021