1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which amp should i run and how with this set up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickFromNY, May 16, 2011.

1. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I recently picked up a BBE bMax preamp that I love. I have a few power amps that I want to pair with it and I have a few questions about the best way to run the amp. It will be run in a Markbass traveler 15" cab (300 watts at 8ohms).

I can use any of the following amps:

AB Precedent 600A (270 watts at 8, 750 bridged at 8)
    Crown powerbase 1 (200 at 8, 455 bridged at 8)
    Crown powerbase 2 (325 at 8, 910 bridged at 8)

I'm worried about running the amp too hard and overloading the cab. What is my best option for running this setup?

2. NickFromNY

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    The smiley faces should read 8 ohms

3. NickFromNY

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry again... The Markbass cab is rated at 400 watts. I'm thinking the powerbase 1 bridged at 455 might be the way to go

4. Remember one basic fact that a cabinets rating is usually the point at which the voice coil starts to melt and thus destroy the driver. Usable power will be in the range of half the cabs rating.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 so run whichever amp you want, and no matter which you choose, same rules apply. Listen for straining, turn down the volume and/or low eq if the cab is straining.