1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which amp speaker size is better for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wishforbass, Jan 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 15"

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. 12"

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. 10"

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  4. 2x6"

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. 8"

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    right now I'm practicing with a stagg guitar amp 8" speaker but I need upgrade to a new amp that I can use in small places like a bar or a little bigger like an small theater .
    but my limit is it should be combo and I can't use head and cabinet .
    I find an ibanez amp .its 300 watt ,15" speaker and it cost around 400$.
    another amp it's 10" speaker ,300 watt and it cost 350$.
    I don't know which size is better for me .i play metal and rock but lately,new gigs I play some fusion (not jazz fusion ,I mean classic music with folk singing )
    I have a 5string low end bass ,Yamaha bb415 .
    how many watts is enough for places that doesn't have pi system .
    and which one do you thing is better ?
    is there still line 6 cheap amps like around 400$ find ?!

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Of the two amps listed I would recommend the Ibanez.

Helix likes this.
  3. longview21guns

longview21guns

Jan 6, 2017
    You definitely want an amp with at least one 12" speaker and for it to be at least 25 watts for gigging. Beyond that, it is entirely your decision.

4. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Minimum 300 watts, and if possible go with at least 2-10"s, if not 4-10"s. I would stay away from ANY single driver speaker cabs, unless you get two of them. I'm referring specifically to the thought that a single 15' will handle your needs. It wont.

39-Bassist likes this.
  5. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Having gigged with everything from 4x5 to 2x15, I will say that speaker size is not as important as the specific characteristics of individual speaker cabinets. However, there are some rules of thumb. The smaller the speaker dimensions, generally speaking, the cabs don't have to be as deep. This is why I prefer 210s. Although most 210s are bigger than 112s and 115s, I prefer them because I hate deep cabs and I find them to be easier to hear because they get physically higher, too.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    guitarflinger likes this.
  7. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    @wishforbass where are you located? I gather from the op that English may not be your first language. What is the used market like where you are?

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
  9. For the days you play rock, the Promethean 15" will serve you better than the 10" since it can push more air.

OP is in a country with import restrictions. I assume he is using IP address scrambling to make these posts.

10. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    as always problem with fender brand do to USA manufactured.
    I can't buy brand that are made in USA and uk (except vox and marshal and line 6).
    fender don't sepp us anything and buying them need at least twice their price .
    brands that find easy are marshal ,vox,line 6b,Ibanez ,peavy .

Popps likes this.
  11. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    well my country itself doesn't have a lot of bassist ,we are less enough that we know each other or at least hear each other name many times .
    even when you go shopping all bass society find because usually shop say oh yeah me.x was here too .
    used amps for bass are usually small amps like 10,20,30 or at best 40 watts amp .
    for buying bigger we pay the money of the amp then wait they send it from Germany to turkey ,turkey to Iran .
    and even for that we should travel from our city to our country capital .
    easier way is they post it .
    but two things make problem.
    first tax over other country manufacturing,like for usa it's 17% of the price .
    and second problem is manufacturing itself because they usually avoid sell Iranian they products .because of that most player here are into Japanese or high end Indonesia.
    and yamaha and ibanez for making this better start their shop in our country .

12. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Does Behringer have distribution there, or close? That's a brand with a huge international supply chain and support.

13. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    their effects are available only .
    their effects price is so cheap and has a lot of fan here .

14. I'd go with the 300 watt-15" speaker of the two you mention.

15. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Rumble combo amps are made in Indonesia.

If you are getting a single speaker combo, get the 15"

Ironically you mention peavey, your best bet is always a 30 yr old indestructible peavey 15" bass combo, 150w or more, those were all USA made, but does the tax apply to used items or just new ones? True, current peavey amps are not made in USA anymore, but neither are the majority of fenders.

birminghambass likes this.
  16. I too would say that a 300W amp coupled to a 1x15 or 2x10 would be a minimum for me to gig with. I haven’t played through a 25W amp since the early Sixties. :)

17. I use a single 15 most gigs and a single 18 outdoors. The 15's sound will develop about fifteen feet out and be as full as you need.

18. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL

19. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What kind of music are you playing that 25w is adequate without PA support?