1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which amp to buy from these?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dark-Gothic-Elf, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Dark-Gothic-Elf

Dark-Gothic-Elf

Nov 12, 2009
    Hi

I'm looking for my first bass amp.
    I'm thinking about these.

Warwick BC 150
    Traynor Dynabass 200T
    Ampeg BA115
    Gallien Krueger MB112-II

Amp around 400Euro 497,09Dollar

Or guys do you have any suggestions?

distortion can be a pedal.

I have a Schecter Stiletto Studio-5
    I'm thinking about tuning it down to F#
    Now is A

I Love metal, hardrock, classic rock.
    My favorite bands are
    Amon Amarth

Fieldy Korn

I hope you guys can help me

Tanks for replying

2. None of those are going to do low A at a high volume, F# below that is a no go. As long as you are of the understanding the physical limitations of those combo's you will be fine.

3. Dark-Gothic-Elf

Dark-Gothic-Elf

Nov 12, 2009
    Thanks
    Whitch amp around that buget can handle F# ?

4. You are asking A LOT of a small combo down tuning! I believe the G-K's amp section would have the power reserve but none of those would have the speakers to handle it well at higher volume. IMO of course.

5. Not many, if any. :(

There are a few bass cabs out there that will handle that type of down tuning at real volume, but they are not in-expensive. Your other option is to run your bass into some sort of PA, that uses mains and subs.

6. Dark-Gothic-Elf

Dark-Gothic-Elf

Nov 12, 2009
    Thanks.
    Which mains and subs would you suggest?

7. Well you are going to need some sort of main speaker, a cross over, a sub woofer, some sort of pre amp, and a channel on a power amp to run each of them.

You still are not looking at a budget rig.

May I ask where you are located?

8. Dark-Gothic-Elf

Dark-Gothic-Elf

Nov 12, 2009
    I'm living in the Netherlands.

9. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    are you looking for an amp that you could play with in a band or just at home for practice?

10. I would hit up music stores and see what they have as far as PA goes.

Also consider looking to some of the new super cabs that use the Eminece 3015LF crossed over with a mid driver. Some of them are specifically designed to handle they type of tuning you are looking to use. Start saving pennies though.

11. Dark-Gothic-Elf

Dark-Gothic-Elf

Nov 12, 2009
    I play at home Not i in a band.
    If I'm good enough i wanna play in a band.

12. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    at home practice volumes any of the combos you mentioned would be good enough. if/when you play with a band then you would need to go for a serious upgrade. something in the 1000 watts+ and some good cab(s). I can't think of any combos that would be able to handle what you are asking at band/gig volumes.

13. +1

This is spot on. As long as you understand the limitations of the combos you listed you will be ok with any of them. If something to transition to a band with you are going to need a lot of cab, and a fairly powerful amp.

14. deBont Amps

deBont Amps Commercial User

Apr 10, 2007
    Netherlands
    deBont Amps
    Hi Dark-Gothic-Elf! Groeten uit Nederland :).

There are few amps/cabs that actualy go down to a low F#. That's around 25Hz, near the hearing threshold! Those frequencies are useless at home (and in any band IMHO). If you could find an installation that does produce 25, like a sub as suggested with a serious poweramp, your neighbours are going to shake on their couch while you hear practicly nothing. The next harmonic (50Hz) is the first useful one, but none of the cabs you suggest (or ANY other in that price range) are going to go that low. Even a low A or is a stretch.

But bass tones are made up of a lot of harmonics. Maybe what you are looking for is not the actual 25Hz. Maybe, for practice purposes, you're quite happy with the second or even third. Like Fieldy's style, it's mostly upper harmonics that gives his playing the definition. So as mentioned above, go to your local shop and play, try and listen.

Edit: I would go for 15" in your case.

15. To the OP:

I have a rig or two that will do what you want, just wont be in your budget right now.

fEARful 1515/66/1 with a Crest ProLite 3.0 pre/power set up.
    [​IMG]
    fEARful Alphalite 12/6/1 x2 with a Carvin B1500.
    [​IMG]

16. Dude, get a headphone amp and pinch your pennies until you can get something that will work for your future band. If there is any advice I can give a new player is to buy once, cry once.

If you have no need for volume yet (i.e. you aren't jamming with people), get something small now and save money towards the bigger rig. Good Luck!

17. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    seeing his location, are there any trace elliott combos that would work for him?

18. +1

19. Dark-Gothic-Elf

Dark-Gothic-Elf

Nov 12, 2009
    Hughes & kettner basskick 515 i can get secondhand for 275euro.
    Will that work?

20. BassKraz

BassKraz

Jan 26, 2013
    Have you looked at the Vanderklays?