Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which amp to get...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by droogie, May 30, 2005.

1. droogie

droogie

May 30, 2005
    I'm new to this site and forum. Thanks for any help and advice you can give me. I play mostly 70's rock and some R&B and blues. Small clubs and halls. Two basses: Fender Urge 1 (the first Stu Hamm bass) and '77 Fender P - Bass

I now have a 70's Sunn Concert Bass amp and cab with 2 x 15' JBL D-130F's. I had them reconed about 7 years ago and they sound good to me, but I don't have much experience with other setups. I'm wondering if I should keep those speakers and get another head or just go ahead and get a whole new setup.

These are some of the amps I've been looking at:

- Peavey 450 Max - Tried it with my cab and sounded good though not terribly loud
    - Hartke HA 3500 - $299 at Zzounds
    - Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 12 - A bit over my price range ($500) but closer if I sell my old rig and especially if I should be changing cabinets
    - Gallien Krueger 800RB - There's a used one available for $450
    - Ampeg B-2RE - Don't know much about them. Haven't played an Ampeg since an old flip top about 30 years ago

I thank you for any input on what amp(s) I should be looking at and whether I should think about getting rid of my cabinet

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Of the group you listed, the best two (IMO) are the 800RB and the Walkabout. They can be the most diverse I would think. The walkabout is quite pricey, but when you plug that sucker in you will realize where your dollars went... and you'll like it. You could also just get the Walkabout head and keep your cab, if that suited you.

You could also take a look at getting a pair of 112 cabs... Avatars or Aguilars maybe. Portability is excellent.... but portability with great volume.... that's just plain sexy. :smug: