Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which amp to use with mic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by billiamb, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Hey everybody,
    Next week my band is playing our first gig that will have a high quality pa to mic our amps and drums. I have a fender bxr-60 60 watt combo that has a single 12" that sounds pretty good, I mostly use this for practicing. For gigs I usually use a sunn concert bass(150 watts) through a carvin cab with 2 15"s. My question is since volume doesn't matter as much which amp should I use?

Also will my amp sound the same through the pa or should I boost any settings? This is my first time so any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

2. I have to disagree with the "volume doesnt matter" statement. Yes they will be mic'ing you, but you (and your bandmates) will still need to hear you play on stage. The mics are for the front of the house mix, very rarely does the bass feed into the monitors (audibly that is - most engineers dont cut the subsonic lows so the monitors turn to mush, or they wuss out and just dont run the bass into them).

My advice? Bring both adn determine what will be best suited once you are there.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You shouldn''t have to change the amp settings coz it's likely the sound guy will hook your bass to the PA directly via a DI box. In other words, the DI box splits the signal comming out of your bass into 2 seperate signals, one that goes for your amp, one that goes to the PA. They are completely independant of each other so any changes you make to yur amp won't stuff up the PA and vise versa. Use your amp as a stage monitor.